1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

QSC Clip Limiter OFF or ON? Bob?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kurt M., Oct 24, 2006.

1. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Hey guys,

I think I read something about this before. I'm trying to trouble shoot why my 2400 watts doesn't sound like 2400 watts. But anyhow on a QSC 2402 should dip switches 1 and 10 (Clip Limiter) be on or off? I currently have them both switched to on. BTW LF filters are OFF. LF set to 30 HZ. I'm running parallel bridged to a 4ohm Epi 310UL. SR5--->SVP Pro--->PLX 2402--->Epifani 310UL.

Thanks guys,
    Kurt

2. The limiters do not reduce volume until you are approaching the clipping point of the amp. I leave mine on and never experienced a problem with volume because of them.

I would look into 2 other areas. I don't think you should be running the switches in parallell while bridging your amp. I would also make sure you are using the proper speaker cable for bridged mode. If you are using the speakons this is very important. The amp end needs to be wired differently than a regular speaker cable.

3. OOps! I jjust read the PLX manual and it states that it is OK to use parallell mode while in bridge mode.

4. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    I'm not saying that this is gonna solve my low output problem. I may have a weak pre. Fist thing I wanted to do was check the dips on the QSC.

OK you raise some concerns. I'm running switches 4,5,6 (parallel) in the on position AND switch 7 on to activate Bridge Mode. Somebody confirm this is correct but it sure looks like it there is even a picture on the back of the amp that says to do it like that.

I am NOT using a special wired cable on the amps end. I'm using a standard Speakon cable (push and twist). I thought flipping switch 7 took care of the wiring internal. Don't tell me I haven't been running bridged all this time!

OK I need some definite answers here.

Thanks.

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    There's no need to parallel the inputs in bridged mono. If you have a preamp with a weak output and/or a high output impedance, I'd definitely leave them set to "stereo".

Clip limiters (channel 1's, in bridged mono) should be on unless you are one who needs distortion when the amp clips. Such users are few and far between, so if you are in doubt, turn the clip limiter(s) on.

If you're using the Speakon connector on the amp and it is in bridged mono, the Speakon connector on the speaker cable must be a 4-pole type and wired to 1+ and 2+. Switch 7 puts the amp in bridged mono but does not rewire the speaker cable for you. Please read the fine manual for text and pictures about this topic. ;)

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    OK, I'll let Bob Lee tell you that instead.:cool: You're far from the first to make that mistake though!

Gee Bob, what stud wrote that killer manual anyway?:bassist:

7. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Bob,

OK I'm good to leave the clip limiters ON.

I should turn OFF switches 4,5,6 (turn to stereo).

The "fine manual" isn't all that clear on the cable there is a drawing on page 11. So how do I wire the cable? Right now it is black lead to -1, red lead to +1. What color leads go in what hole?

Did I mention that I feel stupid!

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Move the wire from 1- to 2+. It should be wired like the picture shows.

9. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm guilty as charged on that one :crying:

10. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    OK. last question. Does it matter which end the rewired jack goes to? I mean the speaker or the amp. I would assume no but better safe than sorry.

Thanks Bob.

11. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    ^^^The end that is rewired to +1 +2 needs to go to the amp. I suggest labeling it as such so you don't get the two confused if you end up taking the speakon out of the amp.

12. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Thank you! Will do. I'm gonna fire it up.

13. I'd like to address the weak pre theory. Unplug your speakers. Turn channel 1 gain all the way up. Turn preamp output all the way up. If you can get the clip lights to glow on the PLX then your pre has enough gain to fully drive your power amp. If not then you can have a mod done to your pre or your power amp to properly match gains.

14. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Yup they light and then some. I think I was maybe thinking weak pre because of the fact that I would have expected 2400 watts to make my cab louder. Now that I'm bridging it the right way it is louder at a lower input gain setting. At this point I think this is as loud as 3 tens is gonna get.

Thanks for all your help.

15. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I had my dips set wrong on my RMX. It was until I read the correct way on the QSC forum I was able to fix it. Before I had set the dips in the proper position it would clip rather easily.

16. slyslam

slyslam

Aug 23, 2006
    Hi!

1- Your speakon connector in bridge mode should be wired positive +1 and negative +2.you use the output from channel one.
    Regarding your dip switch:
    #1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9 right and 3,10 left (bridge+parallel inputs)
    that disables protections on channel two because channel one controls both 1 and two.
    You can change your dip #2 if you prefer a 50hz filter instead of 30 hz.
    Hope this helps

17. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    My settings are like this. If the filter is turned OFF I assume the 30/50 switch has no value. This is looking at the back of the amp.

1R
    2L
    3R
    4L
    5L
    6L
    7R
    8R
    9L
    10R

If I understand Bob, then this is the correct way to run the amp in bridged mode for live bass operation.

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Yes, Kurt, that should work. I'd consider using the low-frequency filter for speaker protection, though.

19. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I left my filter on, but set it at 30hz and still have it there for my E-Dub.

When I had my Gordo sub and was using it w/ the Schro, I had it bi-amped from my ex- Navigator head, and put the 50hz filter on the Schro, and the 30hz filter on the sub.

Made a WORLD of difference.

I'd leave the filter on, but just change it to 30hz instead. Should be fine.

Also, I'm scared to bridge my 3402, to be quite honest with you... I used to have a 1602 that I ran bridged into a Mesa Diesel 6x10, and wow- :bag: :bag:

It was scary loud. :)

20. slyslam

slyslam

Aug 23, 2006
    oops! Took the 2450 configuration. Sorry! yours is good!!