Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by atomic_turtle, Mar 30, 2004.

1. atomic_turtle

atomic_turtle

Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    Just won an ebay bid for a QSC 1850HD in the box for a whopping 395.00 +shipping of course. Soory to gloat but I am excitedand I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this bad larry!!!

:bassist:

2. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ill be joining the club on saturday (RMX850)

w00t

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    In which box?

4. atomic_turtle

atomic_turtle

Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    Hopefully in an unopened original box. But then again its ebay. I'll let you know when it arrives, hopefully this week.
    :hyper:

5. As an owner / operator of a QSC RMX 1850HD, let me tell you this:

1) as a PA subwoofer amp, bridged mono running two 8 ohm 18" subs in parallel, it is the shiite.

2) as a PA full - range or mid-hi speaker amp, in stereo running two 8 or 4 ohm cabinets, it is the shiite.

3) it is a bit heavy (not a girly amp).

4) I'd be amazed to hear of anything that this amp doesn't do well.

You will like this amp, guaranteed. :cool: :D Just wish it was made with U.S. labor :meh: .

6. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Personally, I use the QSC PLX 1202. It's a bit heavy, but it does the job. However, I plan on getting two racks to alleviate the weight issue... a 2 space rack for the poweramp, and a 3 space rack for preamps and such.

7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    20 Lbs is heavy?!? :p Im planning on getting a PLX to make my amp rack light!

8. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Well, 21 pounds, IIRC. I use the 1202 and it makes for a really nice head setup. I can't be hauling no 1850HD around.

9. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Ive been using my 1850HD for a little while now with my BBE Max preamp and love it to death. Tons of headroom.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    my RMX 1450 is the only part of my arsenal that hasn't ever crapped out!

in fact on this past Saturday, our group's Makie amp/mixer (we played a house party) went into auto protect mode cause' it was very hot - the band leader was freaking out so i offered one of my channels to power his 2x15-tweet cabinets - my QSC saved our ass for that gig...

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    PL 1.8 owner here. :)

It's my first separate power amp, but I can't see ever needing anything else.

12. I absolutely love the look of the PLX1602, and you can get them cheap imported into the UK. Very powerful, built like a tank and never give up.
    We've been using the RMX series at College since '96 and never had a problem, the sound is crystal clear and *loud*.

13. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
    I bought a QSC RMX 1450 and its more than enough power for my needs. Heavy but who cares. Top quality!

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Steve Lawson just bought a PLX 1602, also.

15. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    Can an RMX850 run bridged (4 ohms) at loud volume for an extended period of time without heating too much/shutting down?

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    In bridged mono into a 4-ohm load, follow these guidelines:
    • Pay special attention to making sure that the amp is configured correctly¬óespecially correct outputs, correct DIP switch settings, use channel 1's input, turn channel 2 all the way down, use channel 1's gain control to set levels.
    • Avoid clipping.
    • Allow the free flow of air into the back of the amp and out the front.

17. Are the PLX series dual 110/230 voltage? I can't seem to see whether they do on the QSC site.

18. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    PLX heavy????
    Remember when we used to be men?
    Lugging around a 70 pound SVT or two and a couple of 810's.
    Now we complain about 21 pound 1600 watt amps and 50 pound 210 cabs that are flat down to 30 HZ.
    It's getting embarassing

19. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I'm notorious for being a sissy, , as well as lazy.

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Hi Dan,

We make them for 100, 120, and 230 volts, but they are not dual voltage.