Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC, Crest, Stewart World, or ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JRBrown, Aug 31, 2003.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I'm looking for an amp.

What is the bottom line amp that does a bass justice?

- It has to fit 2 rack spaces
    - Must be bridgeable
    - 500 watts bridged is more than that I need,
    but I'll buy more if required for better sound
    quality.

Comments?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    QSC's are pretty much the hallmark of reliability.

my Stewart's ok, but IMHO, i still get a little apprehensive about its reliability.

but you could always look into a Peavey DPC1400x. its become my new primary power amp. 1 rack space and weighs 14 lbs. great little box.

3. I'll follow joker on the Peavey DPC 1400X recomendation. I lusted for one for a long time and will NEVER give mine up now that I have one! 1400 watts, one rack space (it's deeeeep- 16'' to be exact), 14lbs, bullet proof Peavey reputation, etc... need we say more?

I drove mine hard yesterday. Bridged and turned all the way up into an Acme low B-4, in FULL SUN in 90+ degree weather for a looooong 2 hour set (no break), and didn't have a single problem. Yeah, it got warm (so did I, my fingers are MUSH today!) but never skipped a beat. Check 'em out. It's worth the price (about $1100 retail)-

Peavey DPC1400X

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I like my QSCs - I own an RMX 1850HD and a PLX 2402.

The RMX 850 should suit your needs, and it's cheap! You should be able to find one new for $300 or maybe even less.

The PLX 1202 is another option; it's made in the USA (the RMX series is made in China), lighter, and produces more power and better sound, but it's a bit more expensive - about $600.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have a QSC PLX 2402 and it is the shiznit. QSC's are arguably the most reliable amps out there and in the unlikely event that one should fail I get the impression they have great customer service.

Most touring and installed PA's I've seen or read about used QSC power amps if that means anything to you.

7. QSC PLX series is the way to go.

Best service support and a superior product.

Buy more power than you need. You will find creative ways to use it.

Aloha,

Jonathan

8. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Is the PLX much better than the RMX in sound and reliability?
    If so, then the PLX1202 is the least PLX one can buy.

My current setup plus a PLX1202:

[​IMG]

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'd just get the PLX. if i'm not mistaken, its a good deal lighter and shorter in depth.

check out the specs on the website.

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    The Crest LT series weighs in at 27 Lbs. The Crest is going to be more musical vs the QSC which will be a little harsher and dryer sounding.

11. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks Brian,

I knew that Crest was a good amp but I had no idea which series to look at. Where can you buy these for a good price?
    Therefore:

[​IMG]

12. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i would reccomend crown or crest.
    in reality, most touring rigs are crown or crest, not qsc!
    qsc are not as reliable as crown or crest.
    i have owned all these amps and my preference is crown. i like the warm colour for the low end. crest is just as good but a bit more transparent.
    high quality transformers are heavy, no getting around that yet, it's getting better.
    digital power amps use rail-switching technology but every time you switch a rail there is a lapse in sound and it ends up sounding muddy to my ears.
    so, imho, a crown microtech 1200 will meet all your needs indefinitely. look up the specs on their site and compare. a liile weight is worth alot of tone.
    cheers and good luck,
    d.k.

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    FYI, Crest = Peavey.

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Strange. Almost every professional touring rig I've ever seen has been QSC Powerlite. Also, would you please cite the source of your info re: reliability of Crown/Crest vs QSC? Sounds like a "made-up fact" to me.

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Peavey did buy Crest out, but they are still totally different companies. Neither Crest or Peavey are made in the others factory.

I'm a Crest dealer and can't get peavey with out filling out a dealers application.

Their buying Crest is nothing close to the eden/swr buy out. Totally different situation! :bassist:

16. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    While I've never dealt with Crest power amps, my experience with Crown power amps is terrible. Come to thing of it, everybody who I've personally known who has owned a Crown has had it fail. A couple of these were the CE series and one a powerbase2. I've heard good things about the macro/micro tech series, but I've seen one of those go down at a show too. I think I just bring bad luck to Crowns.

17. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    my source for my opinion of amp reliability is me.
    i have been a professional international touring engineer for 15 years, used all the described amps in all kinds of situations, and have experienced failure in qsc in festival-type situations where long-term use is a factor, while having NEVER had a failue by crown, and crest only once. for my last installation in a rock-club, i chose a rack of crest ca series amps for affordability reasons (about 16,000 watts total) and a year later have had no problems to report.
    it is true that the powerlite series is currently a popular choice on some rigs, but due to my past experiences in the field(not on paper or in magazines) i am still most trusting of crown.
    so, my input is from real experience.

18. In my 25 years of bass playing, I've played through many older models of crown, crest and qsc and haven't heard a nickel's difference in the sound. Nothing that couldn't be solved with a minute eq bump. As far as reliability goes, it's pretty much the same. You can get raves and horror stories about any brand.

That being said, when it came time to replace my heavy old crown with a lighter amp, I was also kinda broke so I ended up Carvin DCM1000 @$369 and 19 lbs. There were many good reviews of the amp on this board. It turned out to be a good choice for my needs (use it 2-5 times a month when I need to be loud with my SWR 4X10). Very clean, uncolored and very reliable in the two years I've had it. I've used it several times in 90+ heat for multi hour gigs and it never hiccupped (unlike the mackie power amp on our pa, but thats another story).

19. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    True but there has been quite a bit of cross-pollination between the two companies. I was told by a Peavey representative that the Peavey GPS 2600 & 3500 are essentially Crest designs. There also seems to be a lot of similarites with the CS series and some of the Crest designs.

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

500W into how many ohms? Just curious.

FWIW I use the Stewart World 2.1. 2 rack spaces, 17 pounds. It's probably more power than you need: each channel is ~700W into 4 ohms, ~400W into 8 (I won't even mention the insane amounts of power available when bridging that amp). However here's the neat thing: it's dual monaural, i.e. each channel has its own power supply and on/off switch. So, it's like carrying two amps with you at all times.

At Saturday night's gig I ran a 2.67 ohm load (Berg HT310 + HT115) off of one channel of the Stew. I got all the volume and massive bottom I needed from that channel, and had the other side in reserve as backup. I'd even donate that channel to my band if one of the PA amps blew.