1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

QSC GX5 (or any power amp really) question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by melodicly, Mar 10, 2010.

1. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    So when the clip light lights on the power amp frequently should I lower the attenuator on the power amp or the level out on my preamp? I have always assumed that the more signal you can get out of a pre the thicker, better the sound but have assumed incorrectly many times before. I am running an RBI into the QSC and into an 8ohm cab per channel. That does bring up another question however... should I be running these cabs series on one channel giving them ultimately more juice (and I think working the amp less) or keep maxing them out on each channel? They are fEarful 12/6 8ohm cabs BTW. Thanks, Dale

2. kilo95

kilo95

Dec 29, 2009
    I wouldn't worry about working the amp. I needs to work some (to a point). As to the first question....It's ok if the clip light blinks occasionally when you're hitting a low E or low B string. You don't want it to stay on a lot. First off, it'll distort your sound. Theoretically, it could damage your amp. I'd turn the input on your pre down a touch and maybe even the output level on the pre (if it has two different adjustments). Then turn up the amp. I use an Eden preamp with a Crown power amp by the way and love it.

3. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Thanks kilo. That's kind of what I figured. The RBI only has an output control that I have kept around 50%. I have been running the poweramp at around 75% but I think if I run the cabs in series and get a 4ohm load on it instead of 8ohm I will get a bit more head room.

I wish Eden made a small simple pre like the 550 or something. The nav is more than I need, both in cost and features, but man I do love that Eden tone!

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Running two 8-ohm cabs in parallelwill give you 4 ohms. Fortunately, parallel is the normal way cabinets are connected, even if you daisy chain them together (running a cable from the amp to one cab, then another cable from that cab to the other).

Looking at the specs for the GX5, running one 8-ohm cab on each channel gives you 500 watts going to each cab. Running both cabs together (4 ohms total) off one channel gives you 850 watts if you're only using the single channel, or 425 watts per cab. I don't see any real benefit to doing it that way.

Mike

5. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Lol. That's what I meant....:rolleyes:

That does make sense about 1 channel vs 2. I was thinking that with the cabs run parallel I wouldn't have to crank the attenuator so much, but I guess I would. Thanks mike. I'm going to try running my pre a little bit hotter to see if I can't get a little more head room out of the power amp. :bassist:

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020