1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

QSC K12.2 vs Quilter Bass Block 800 and cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bcadamslive, Feb 21, 2020.

1. QSC K12.2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bass Block 800

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Something Else

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bcadamslive

bcadamslive

Feb 21, 2020
    Current set up: Warwick Streamer FNA Jazzman 5 through SWR SM500 pushing SWR 4x10 cab. I do use some pedals including an Aguilar Tone Hammer DI/Preamp.

The current rig clocks in at about 150 lbs and I’m really interested in getting a more manageable rig for gigging small to medium venues. I’ve been looking into the QSC K12.2 as an all-in-one, but I still have questions about a PA speaker, even the best one, acting as a bass amp. Yes, I’ve read some threads on here about the K12.2 but there is not enough feedback on actual hands-on experience to make that kind of financial commitment. It does seem to be highly versatile with plenty of wattage, but how well does it handle the bass (including the low B). While doing my research I ran across the Quilter BB800 and that peaked my interest as a powerful but light amp to pair with a small cab (1-2 speakers/10-12”).

I play every week in church and I started gigging quite a bit with my brother’s band, which is a 5 piece rock band. I’d love to be able to walk into a gig with pedalboard in one hand, amp in the other, and my bass on my back in one trip from the car. I figured that down the road (maybe after winning the lottery) I could add a nice sub to round out the low end, but until then I need a smaller/lighter set-up to do the job.

What say you?

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    You'll have better results with something based on the 3012LF if you want to stick to a small twelve.

I would go with a 15" if you want to go with the powered cab route.

3. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I suggest taking your tonehammer to the nearest guitar center that has the K12.2 in stock and crank it until you hit the limiter.

Last time I tried this the PRX612 came out ahead over the original K12. The 12.2 does seem quite improved over the original according to comments online.