1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

QSC makes bass amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr. Kitty, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Mr. Kitty

Mr. Kitty

Mar 14, 2008
    now i may just be dumb but the other day i played on a QSC bass amp!
    see i went down to play a show at my local pub and there was a band there and they were playing after us and they were gonna let us use their equipment.

but anyways, the bass player there had a QSC bass amp. It sounded pretty good if I do say so myself!

any info on this?

and sorry if i did something wrong,

first post :D

2. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    The QSC was a power amp.//www.qscaudio.com/

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Welcome to TB! QSC makes power amps which don't care whether they are used for bass, guitar, kazoo, nose flute, or accordion. A full-range PA amp works for anything.

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    This type of setup is usually referred to as a "rack rig". Your bass would normally connect to some sort of preamp (with gain, tone and master volume controls) then the preamps output would be connected to a separate poweramp (like the one you noticed) to actualy power the speakers.

You'll usually find these components mounted in a rack case. Many people also add all kinds of other rack mounted tone shaping devises to these.

Here's some threads about these types of rigs.
    http://www.google.com/custom?domain...;S:http://www.talkbass.com;LP:1;FORID:1&hl=en

5. Sadly, some add too much then sell, then buy, then get this horrid condition called G.A.S.
    I suffer from no such condition :bag:

Ok so maybe some. Ok A lot. Fine. It is as horrid as it gets. :)

6. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    I have a couple of those that look like this:

AcmeDek02Fxd.

Preamp on the top is a SansAmp RBI in a rack with a DBX166.

Racks.

7. The part which is really going to annoy you is . . . unless you noticed the preamp he was using, you'll take a while figuring out how to get that sound again :p

welcome aboard tho!

8. SWR098

SWR098

Nov 13, 2007
    What exactly does G.A.S. stand for?

9. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    GEAR ACQUISITION SYNDROME

10. Mr. Kitty

Mr. Kitty

Mar 14, 2008
    Well it didn't look like any of the pictures that Johnny Crab posted below...

and i don't believe it was a power amp or a preamp.

well I could be wrong.

But either way it had a digital display if that helps narrow down what i was looking at. Like digital display like so words can come up if i wasn't clear enough.

and it also had like different sounds too..

like the guy asked me if i what sound i wanted...he said there was a 4x12 sound, a 1x15 sound, a slap friendly sound, one that was good for picking, idk a lot of crazy stuff...

but just an update i suppose :p

11. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Probably a Line 6 POD Pro. It's a rack effects/modeling system. Can be used as a preamp, obviously.

Could've been that Yamaha digital head, but that is a head. He *might* have been using a separate power amp, but the Yamaha isn't as popular as the Line 6.

Or it could've been a Mesa-Boogie TriAxis or whatever it is called, but that was only a prototype and it is pretty rare.

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, sounds like a Line6 product, not a QSC. Were the letters "QSC" actually on the same 3.5" tall panel that had the digital display? If so, I'm betting it was just a decal (a freebie included with a QSC power amp) applied over the words "Line6 POD". :)

13. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    99% chance on the Line6, I only said the other two just in case he recognized the brand names.

14. Mr. Kitty

Mr. Kitty

Mar 14, 2008
    well the lighting wasn't all that great in there.
    he had a lot of different things all put in a rack.
    there were several different brands and i think i saw a line 6 preamp (?) in there.
    see i was thinking that the QSC was the actual head that he was running it through...
    he also had like 4 subwoofers. not your standard cabinet though...they each had like a 10 or 12 inch subwoofer and a tweeter. they actually kinda looked like some of those PA speakers that are around...

kinda like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?N=100001+706134