1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

QSC MX 2000a, should i pull the trigger?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GearHeadBassMan, Jun 29, 2007.

1. I can get a QSC MX2000a for $550, should I pounce on it? how is this amp?

compare it to a comparatively priced (<$600) power amp with a power rating at least 500w @ 4ohms.

Thanks guys!

2. I don't know about that amp, but I have been looking into the poweramps and more specifically the QSC over the past week. You can get an QSC RMX1450 new for $429. That will give you 450 @ 4ohm per channel. In all reality 50w at that point is moot. Bridged @ 4ohms into a single channel is 1200w or something. Also now you get a 6 year warranty for free, so that may be something to think about.

Ox.

3. http://www.topdjgear.com/qsc-rmx-1850hd.html
    This is just about the same power (1850 vs 2000) bridged in 4 ohms for $50 less and a new warranty. It is not an expressly DJ amp by any means, this is just a site that caters to DJ's

4. as always, thanks for the quick responses. I'm not gonna be able to afford anything for awhile (just bought a brand new car and its gonna cost me about one fender j bass a month :() but my buddy who is selling it said he'd hang on to it until i could get the cash together but if i can get something as good new then i'll tell him to sell it to someone else

how about the crown Xti series? mostly just because i like the way they look and i've heard good things about crown.

thanks guys!

-Alex

5. You just remided me of something VERY funny that just happened when I bought a used BBE 383.

Me: Hey dude, I emailed you earlier about the 383 you have for sale.
    Seller: Yeah, did you get the pics I emailed?
    Me: Yeah, it looks a like it has some road time. Does it play well? Did you test it?
    Seller: Yup, works fine... aren't you a bass player?
    Me: Yeah, why?
    Seller: Me too. Why do you care how it looks? If you really are a bass player, then you are pretty ugly too... thats why they make you stand back by the drummer.
    Me: Right. I'll take it.

True story. Happened Wednesday over the phone. The guy was one of the coolest sales guys I've dealt with so far. Tim at Daves Guitarshop in Wisconsin.

BTW, yes the XTi looks cool... but I think I would stick with the QSC for now.

Ox.

6. brisonic

brisonic

Jan 1, 2006
    san diego
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I bought a QSC MX1500a about 13 years ago, and it was my main PA amp for a ton of gigs, many outside in 100+ degree heat. That amp was built like a tank and was reliable as gravity. I sold it to a friend, and it's still his main amp. I don't think you'd go wrong with this amp. However, $550 sounds a little high for a used MX2000a, although PrePal puts it at $554 and falling.

8. No.

The price is much too high. The amp itself is gorgeous, high quality merchandise. Heavy as hell at 54 pounds. This gets old in a hurry.

Look into a PLX at 21 pounds. Also high quality merchandise, and selling cheaper due to being replaced by a newer line. I own three PLX.

9. you guys rule!

10. 7 year old zombie resurrection............

11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    ...by joining that day just to sell something without being a supporting member...

12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yup, and failing to mention that some parts for the Mx line are becoming harder and harder to find (if not already unobtanium). Most seriious pro audio and cinema audio service techs keep a stash of the critical components that have been salvaged from boneyard amps. Thinking specifically of the rail step driver PCBs.

13. I don't want to sell it. These beauties are priceless. I said I would take for one to a bud screw u guys. I watched one of the models pa a total symphonic lazer light show for 5000 people. It is an awesome wall of power no matter how you wire it. Untouched sound with rows of filter caps. I dont know where u get ure info from but there refurb kits everywhere.

14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    But you DID say you wanted to sell it didn't you?
    Refurb kits are NLA on many of the legacy models, including the Series 1/2/3, Mx/Ex according to my latest docs. Step driver modules are another part that may or may not be available (the same ones that are in the Mx/Ex series were also used in some early PL's). I have serviced many, a company that I did work for many years ago owned several thousand of the Series 2 and Mx, so I'm pretty familiar with them. I also have a fondness for what they brought to the marketplace... a solid, reliable, no frills amplifier. I also respect greatly what Pat Quilter did to the build to order manufacturing model (with the PL/PLX/CX/DCA etc). He is a great example of having a vision and being ahead of the curve, and surrounding himself with some great people.

IMO, when presenting things as fact (which is what you have done here), in the interest of fairness you need to recognize and discuss the challenges to owning legacy products so as not to be misleading. It would be a real bummer for somebody to go out and buy a legacy amp thinking all parts are available. These are amps that are >25 years old, remember.

15. jeffmaxwell

jeffmaxwell Commercial User

Oct 8, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    owner, Silver Hammer Designs
    The step drivers are NLA from QSC at this point. I still service MX1500A amps for a local movie theater chain. If the step drivers fail that unit becomes a parts donor.

16. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    They also make pretty good doorstops. I just made an electronics recycling run to clear my shop of unrepairable amps after harvesting valuable obsolete parts. It's these bone yard parts that keep the legacy amps somewhat repairable after so many years but they are rapidly becoming not worth repairing given the value of the newer amps being made these days. 500 lbs of scrap isn't worth as much as I expected but at least it's not under foot. There were some mx-1500a's in the pile too.

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I get a couple requests a month from people who want the step driver PCB assemblies for 15 and 20 year old amps. Unfortunately, we just don't have them any more. They've been depleted for several years now. The EX, MXa, and original PowerLight series used the same step driver modules. Fortunately those amps have a very low failure rate, but if one of those step drivers blows these days, well, you'll need to scour an amp boneyard.

Maybe some enterprising electronics whiz would like to make some equivalent replacements. I could see a market for maybe 50 to 100 per year, equally split between positive and negative.

18. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    It's not uncommon that when a step driver fails catastrophically, there is equally catastrophic damage to the driver /output stages and often major pcb trace/laminate damage that makes the repair costly. That's what my boneyard salvage was made of.

Thanks Bob for the clarification.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021