Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC MX series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by silentstranger, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Basically any info anyone can provide (Bob Lee especially) would be appreciated...

I know the MX1500a is a newer version of the MX1500, but what's the difference? Does an MX2000 exist, or just the MX2000a? How does the MX series compare in general with the RMX amps and what differences am I looking at? Used MX's are generally older since several are discontinued; does their reliability make up for it or would I be better off with a newer used RMX? What's the going rate for used MX models? Etc etc, anything other cool info...

Specific model searches don't yield many threads and I can't search for "MX" cuz it's only two letters...:( Info will be rewarded with karma :)

2. The "a" series suffix amps are the newer/newest versions of the MX amps.

I owned an MX-3000a. Built like a tank. Cranked like Godzilla. Weighed in like an aircraft carrier. 69 huge pounds of steel.

A giant pain in the ass to move around.

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The MXa amps replaced the old MX models (MX 1500 and MX 2000) back in the early 90's.

The MX models had Class G output circuits; the MXa were Class H, which doesn't require as many output transistors. The MXa models are lighter than the MX predecessors.

The MXa series also introduced the modular input system that accommodated various accessory boards.

To bridge the old MX models, you had to attach wire jumpers to cross-connect the two inputs, then set the two gain controls identically. A switch on the MXa models made this a lot simpler.

Only the MX 1500a and the MX 3000a are still in manufacture.

4. Hey Bob,

has the EX4000 been discontinued as well?

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Yes, after the PowerLight amps came out, the EX line became superfluous, for the most part. I think the EX models were dropped in about 1996.