Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC: MX vs RMX?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    While discussing PA's with the soundguy at my last gig, I asked him his opinion of QSC's RMX series. He didn't think too highly of them. I asked him why, and he said basically that the RMX series and MX series (which he happens to use) have very similar specs, yet one costs twice as much as the other. So what gives?

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Paging Bob Lee...

As I understand it, the MX series is an older line that QSC intends to phase out over the next few years. The RMX is made in China, and is intended as an entry-level line.

I have an RMX 1850HD and I love it! It gives me all the power I need, and the price was extremely reasonable. I have yet to hear anyone who has used an RXM gripe about it. Well, except for the weight...

3. The MX is high end quality, made in the USA, and weighs a ton. I own one.

The RMX is solid workingman quality without the esoteric design features of the MX. It is designed in the USA and made in China. It weighs 3/4 ton, and I owned one.

The PLX is high end quality, made in the USA, and lightweight. It is a switching type which is much more sophisticated (and lighter) than the older transformer type MX and RMX amps.

As for soundguys not thinking much of RMX... piffle. My former RMX 850 is now owned by my drummer and is the foundation for the PA system. It works great, works every time, and sounds good.