QSC MX1500, MX1500A or 1700 for a SVP-Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phyrexian, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Hi there everybody,

I found some second hand QSC power amps for sale over here in Belgium (QSC is very rare on the 2nd hand market in Belgium).
    QSC MX 1500
    QSC MX 1500a
    QSC 1700

I noticed that those MX series are older models. No problem for me. But I've got a few questions for you Pro-guys on the board:

1. How good are those amps for driving a bass preamp (Ampeg SVP-Pro)?? (My main concern!!)

2. Those amps (at least the MX's) put out 2x500 watt at 4ohms (per channel). I'd like to know if I could safely use only one channel (for driving one speaker cab!) without damaging the amp???

3. What do you guys know about the 1700? I know its a discontinued model, but thats all I found out about it.

4. Weight is not an issue, money is... so I'd rather go for these used models than for a new PLX (way too expensive over here in Belgium)

5. Price is around 400-500 euro... is that price okay?
    New PLX amps are about 1500 euro's (!!) :eek: :mad:

6. QSC RMX 850 (300watt @ 4ohm) costs 550euro over here and a QSX RMX 1450 (450watt @ 4ohm) is something about 700 euro. Would they be better investments than those second hand MX's?

7. How can I detect quality of those 2nd hand amps? How would I notice if one's damaged???

8. I play in a heavy rock/metal band and have to keep up with a halfstack marshall. Would that RMX 850 deliver enough power?

Any help and information about these amps might be useful... thanks in advance!

2. The 1500a is the newer model of the older 1500. I owned an MX series amp (3000a) and it was built like a super fortress. Very nice, industrial strength equipment.

But heavy.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ditto here on the MX1500a. I've use mine as a main PA amp for over 7 years, and it just keeps on pumping. Built like a tank and, hence, weighs as much as one. I'd say you can use one side if you want. I've never put a bass pre through it.
  4. The MX series have a reputation of being some of the most reliable Pro Audio power amps *ever* made.

We have used an MX1500 and an MX2000 in our PA many times, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

It would still be an extremely good idea to try them before you buy, see if you could arrange this with the seller.

Note- it is quite common, with older power amps, for the gain pots to be scratchy sounding. This can usually be remedied with electrical contact cleaner.
  5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The 1700 was a model from the range of amps we called Series One, and they were very popular as general purpose amps and also highly popular around the world for cinema use.

Send me a e-mail message and I'll e-mail you the owner's manual for it.
  6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    If you can get an MX series amp for around the same price as an RMX, I'd definitely go with the MX, even if it is used and the RMX is new. The RMX series is a "cheaper" line, while the MX series is top notch pro audio equipment. IMO you can't go wrong with anything made by QSC though.
  7. Thanks guys for the useful replies.

I made up my mind about my future bassamp.
    It will not be a preamp-poweramp setup! I noticed it would be too expensive right now.

I found a second hand Hartke 3500 with a 4x10XL cab and a 1x15XL cab altogether for 630 euros.

Thats's very very cheap... so I'm happy. Guess I'll pick it up this weekend.

I also found a 2nd hand AMPEG SVT-3 Pro plus Ampeg SVT410HE cab (my dreamgig!!!!! :D ) but it was also too expensive: 1700 euros... its cheap compared to the new price of such gear over here in europe (around 2500 euros)
  8. ryanbairan

Mar 30, 2009
    i want to buy this qsc mx1500 and amcron geodyne II
    which is much better in this two units?

and what can you say on crown XTI2000?:confused: