Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

qsc opinion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassistGod, Feb 10, 2003.

1. What do you think is the better deal?

A new qsc rmx 1850hd or a 2 year old qsc plx 1602?
    The 1602 is going for $50 bucks more.

Quick specs:
    I think the rmx 1850hd puts out 1800 watts bridged mono at 4 ohms whereas the plx 1602 puts out 1600 watts at 4.

Oh yeah, the rmx 1850hd weighs twice the weight of the plx 1602.

If the rmx is on par with the plx sound-wise and reliability-wise, I think I'd go with the rmx. Anyone have opinions on which deal to bite on???

fyi: I'll be using my sansamp RBI into the poweramp if that helps at all.:confused:

2. Sorry......Bump

C'mon someone has to have an opinion on this......
    This guy is already emailing me his payment address for the 1602. Guess I'll just give in and spend the extra dough....for a used one...pff:meh:

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You'll barely notice 200w difference volume wise. If it were me I'd get the lighter one. (actually that's not entirely true. If it were me I'd buy a bass head but the poor guy seems desperate for an opinion. I'll just pretend I'm buying a QSC power amp for a PA - they're great for that......)

4. :confused:

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm very happy with my PLX1602. I sure appreciate the lightweight of the amp. My choice would be the PLX. But there sure isn't anything wrong with the RMX1850. It's the weight and size issue that would push me toward the PLX. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, and if you are getting a decent deal on the PLX you sure could sell it for that. The PLX's seem to do quite well in re-sell. I've rarely noticed used PLX's hanging around for very long.

6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    PLX here also. It's also the size and weight. 2 lbs doesn't seem like much now but at 2 in the morning after 3 one hour sets it might feel alot heavier than that. My .02

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I use the 1850HD. I like the amp, but be warned, it is pretty heavy. Plan on buying and installing some rear rack mounts, they are recommended for an amp like the 1850. I guess one other thing to consider is the new amp would have a (3 year?) warranty, whereas I'm not sure if such warranties are transferable on the used amp. I don't think you would ever need to use it, but you never know...

8. Thanks for the replies.
    I'm sending out the check today for the plx1602.
    $482 plus shipping. Not a bad deal if I do say so myself.

9. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    No exageration there! That's a screamin' deal.

If you decide against that PLX please shoot me an email.;)

10. PLX good show old boy

11. (Providing that the PLX works fine....)

Good choice, one reason being that the PLX has already depreciated! (If you resold it, you'd recover ...vs. reselling RMX - you'd suffer the depreciation).

Although, I don't know why anyone in the music or live sound business would ever sell a QSC.:confused:

BTW - in the 1500 watt neighborhood, 200 watts of difference mean absolutely bupkis. In other words, if you're buying 1.5k, no need basing the decision on the 200 watt difference. JMO

Please do us a big favor and enjoy the hell out of your new amp!!!!!:bassist:

12. Bimp, I've been meaning to tell you ....
    That is one very cool dog. :D

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I herd det! I've been watching the used QSC market for the last month. Used PLX's are about as numerous as Arabs at KKK meetings these days.

14. Sent out the payment already old boys.
    I totally spaced it out that I could probably resell the plx for a profit.

15. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I have the RMX 1850HD and just bought a used PLX 2402 to replace it in my road rig. (The RMX is now my practice amp. :D ) I'm just getting too old to schlep around 60 lbs. of rack.

The difference in distortion performance between the two amps shouldn't be noticeable in a bass rig. It might be if you were using it as a PA amp. Maybe. (I don't pretend to have golden ears, your hearing may be more acute than mine.)

The RMX will be more efficient than a PLX 1602 because of its Class H output circuit. However, the PLX's soft start is easier on circuit breakers.

The RMX is plenty beefy. I've had no troubles running a pair of 4 ohm Acme Low B-2s from one channel of the amp.

The PLX's warranty is transferrable, BTW, but I guess that's a moot point now.

Also moot is the fact that Lord Valve could have cut you a better deal on that RMX. I know because I bought mine from him!

16. Oh, you like 'Smiley'? Thanks. He takes good care of his teeth, and he's very proud of it.

17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    How much lighter is the PLX?
    I sure wish my RMX could lose a few pounds.
    That said - it really freakin' cranks!!!

18. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    All the PLX series amps are 21lbs.

19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW - I've recently had price quotes from Lord Valve and from Life Effects Pro Audio.

Their pricing, on the face of it, is the same, or, within a $10 of each other.

The difference seems to be, at this point, that Lord Valve charges $50 for a mod to the QSC if your preamp is not among those deemed "compatible" with the QSC, (i.e., able to realize full power potential).

Life Effects said they would have to double-check but they thought there was no upcharge for the mod. They said it was "common with all pre-amps and no big deal for QSC to prepare your amp of choice to match your pre-amp."

Great as the RMX's appear on paper, I just don't want a rack that weighs nearly the same as one of my cabs.

20. originally posted by chuck
    Life affects had qouted me the rmx 1850hd for $440.00 including shipping charges. Thats a damn good price. Thats why the decision was so hard.