Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC owners (bridged 4 ohm load)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I have a RMX850 which I usually run bridged with an 8 ohm cab. Well a new band I'm going to possibly start playing with already has an 8x10 Ampeg cab at their practice space and to save me from hauling extra gear I'm probably just gonna bring my pre/power amp.

I'm slightly worried the QSC may run a bit hot since it will be running on a 4 ohm bridged load. Does anyone else here run a 4 ohm load? and does you power amp run hot?

Thanks!

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If you don't impede the air flow into the back and out the front, and you avoid any significant clipping of the amp (short flashes now and then are nothing to worry about), then you should be fine, unless you play in a sauna. ;)

3. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    ever since I got all the switches on the back of the amp set right it hasn't even come close to clipping. Also since I will be running it at 830 watts instead of the 600 watts I'm usually running it at, I will probably need to turn it down a bit.

I just hope that the Ampeg cab sounds as good as my 410 Eden cab.

Thanks again for the insight Bob!! :)

4. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I routinely run my PLX 1602, bridged, into 4 ohms. For about three years. Sounds wonderful. No problem.

Kim

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I once bridged my PLX2402 into a stack of Goliath IIs...I could feel it's hot breath blowing on the back of my neck (being "just the bassist" I was forced to stand behind everyone on the tiny stage that we played on...not that I'm bitter or anything ;) ) The amp took it all in stride...

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

Yep, I run this way into a Schroeder 410 a lot. It deos just fine, and sounds great. Carry on and enjoy!

7. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Thanks for easing my mind!!

8. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I have only run my 850 at 4 ohms bridged, no issues at all. There is the consistent, reassuring breeze of the cooling fan to ease my worries.

The RMX 850 is a good solid, workhorse amp.

9. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005