Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC PLX 1202 blew up on me at a gig last night--help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PB+J, Aug 10, 2003.

1. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I bought this "reconditiioned" from Musicians friend , so maybe I should have expected trouble. but the thing was only a month or two old. I was running it bridged, and medium volumes, and suddenly it just quit. Now when i turn it on the clip light comes on before any of the green level lights come on, and the signal is audble but distorted

I had been really happy with this unit, but I'm pretty disgusted now. My main criteria for gear is reliability, and I'm thinking the QSC PLX series is not it. Am I jumping the gun? Maybe this is just a bad unit? But I'm not eager to go buy another PLX when this one died after maybe a dozen gigs

Anyone have an recommendations on really solid, dependable power amps? I don't want this to happen again

2. There should be some sort of warranty on that qsc? If it's only a couple months old, then maybe musicians friend will exchange it for another.

As far as dependable amps, I've been using Carvin power amps for 3 years now. No problems yet.

3. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    That sux but I really know no PA more reliable than the PLX series.

4. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I'm guessing the reason it was sent back to be "reconditioned" in the first place was not properly fixed. Not saying there was slop on QSC's part, they (or whomever did the reconditioning) probably just missed the actual source of the problem.

5. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    This is the first time I've ever heard of that happening with a QSC. From my own experience and with talking to others, I'd have to say that QSC are the most reliable poweramps.

6. Especially the 1202. It has the highest amount of heat sink area in relation to wattage. Bob Lee says this one is nearly bullet proof.

Then again, all things break. My experience with electronics is a failure will occur within the first 100 hours of operation, or not at all. It is possible there is a mechanical issue such as a loose connector, broken solder joint, etc. Is there a possibility some neanderthal (drummer?) moved/dropped your amp and didn't fess up?

7. BOOM ! BOOM BOOM :bassist: :bassist:

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i haven't had any prob's with my 1450.

QSC is very reliable. Sorry to hear what happened to your amp. :(

9. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    You don't say who reconditioned this unit. Have you talked to QSC directly about the problem? Personaly, I would have to question the "dependability" of anything thats been "reconditioned."

Yes, your jumping the gun. QSC deserves an oppertunity to correct your amps problem. You'll probably be one of the first persons here to report on QSC's customer service.

My recomondation is to have your unit factory repaired.

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    PB+J, you should get the amp repaired or replaced. I don't know what Musician's Friend sells as "reconditioned"; maybe it was serviced and checked by QSC, maybe not.

My advice: see if Musician's Friend will replace it. If not, see about getting it serviced. Where to get it serviced depends on what country you're in.

11. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Good point. I should've read PB+J's message more closely. I thought he meant the clip LEDs came on and stayed on, which would indicate the amp was in protect for whatever reason.

But if the clip LEDs just come on before the all the signal level indicators do, that's generally an indicator that there's a short circuit or an otherwise excessively low impedance on the output that's causing the amp to current-limit. Maybe there's a partial short in the speaker cable or something; sometimes it's due to one or two stray strands of copper at a connection bent over and touching the other side.

13. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    When I read the title I was hoping for a story about an explosion, fire & smoke going everywhere. Drats!! BTW, that is the proper sequence for the panel LEDs on power-up. I have a 3002 & a 1602 and that's the way the LED's have always done on both of mine, from day one. The clip LEDs stay on for about 2-3 seconds then go out. And my PLX's have always worked flawlessly. Check all your cables and if that don't do it just send it back for in-warranty repair, as most re-cons have some sort of warranty on them. I do understand your frustration, however IMO this is not really a problem of enough stature to start a QSC bashing, or even a thread, really.

As far as a "really solid, dependable" power amp, I have a recommendation: QSC. And, no matter what brand of power amp you buy, it may very well happen again. :cool:

14. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Thanks everyone--I know QSC has a good rep for quality, which is why I bought it in the first place. The clip lights come on and stay one--and it quit right in the middle of a tune, so I dubt it's a cable I tried replacing the speakon to speakon cable I has been using with a bannana to 1/4, and the same problem--the clip leds came on and stayed on. It's in the shop for repair.

15. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Thanks everyone--I know QSC has a good rep for quality, which is why I bought it in the first place. The clip lights come on and stay one--and it quit right in the middle of a tune, so I dubt it's a cable I tried replacing the speakon to speakon cable I has been using with a bannana to 1/4, and the same problem--the clip leds came on and stayed on. It's in the shop for repair.

16. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    What kind of speaker cabinet(s) are you running?

What is the Ohm load of the cabinet(s)?

Have you tried running a single channel of the amp instead of Bridged?

If the speaker cabinet has multiple drivers, could one of the speakers be out?

17. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Excellent questions, redneck. it's going into an ampeg portabass 4 ohm 2x12. I haven't actually checked the cab yet--think I'll do that now

18. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    QSC is not at fault--the problem is the cab, not the amp. I actually hadn't thought to check, but just now on redneck's suggestion I tried the same cab with a different power amp and the power amp flipped off right away. tried the same amp with a different cab and no problem.

So the problem is with the cab and with me, for not checking all the possibilities more thoroughly

19. Sounds like you've got a short in the cab somewhere.

I was about to comment on my experience with QSC before I read the last post, and I think I'll continue in that vein.

I've been using various QSC products for over 10 years now. I've used literally hundreds of their amps (often 30 or 40 at a time;)) under the most adverse conditions. I've seen precisely 2 failures. QSC's products are among the most reliable (if not the most) pro audio products I've ever encountered. Their customer service is excellent as well.

20. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Ok, my final post on this. I took the ampeg cab apart and found that two of the leads coming from the voice coil to the speaker terminals of one of the two speakers were touching--a short on the cab. I'd never seen this beofe--senn blown speakers and blown amps, but never to speaker leads touching like this. Anyway, I seperated them and insulated one of the leads, so hopefully this won't happen again, Seems like maybe ampeg should not have made a cab where the leads could touch like this, but there ya go

So I repeat,m the QSC amp is not at fault. Thanks to redneck for the suggestion. Learned something today, saved some dough too.