Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC PLX 1202 or GK 1001RB II?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aram, Dec 3, 2003.

1. QSC PLX 1202

22 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. GK 1001RB II

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I have an Acme B-1 for my smaller gigs, and plan on getting another one soon to stack under it. I need an amp that can drive these babies to their full potential.

So which would you recommend? I'm leaning towards the PLX 1202, which I would run in bridge mode, because of the added headroom. HOWEVER, the GK would be great because I could throw it in a backpack, instead of lugging a rack case...although the weight is close...

Can anyone think of other pros and cons of each? They're in the same price range, but if I get the QSC I'd have to get a small preamp (maybe an Avalon U5) which would push the price just above the GK...but nothing significant

Oh, and this rig will be used for upright, as well as fusion-y electric gigs.

Please let me know what you think.

Edit: Fixed bad spelling

2. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
  3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Well, I really like the tone of GKs -- especially their well-voiced EQ section. But for less dough, you can get a hell of a lot more power:

http://www.qscaudio.com/pdfs/plxspec.pdf

Not sure what cab you're going to run, but with Acmes the more juice the better (though you do have to be careful). I'm still undecided though, since the 1001 is so portable...I guess it comes down to a convenience vs power thing...

4. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    However you think the wat ratings measure up to, I am going to tell you that I got my 1001rb-II hooked up to a Eden 410xlt and a EA VL210 and at a little over halfway on gain and master, it overpowers the other players. It can be too loud, which IMO is the only reason to get a beefed out power amp. I don't play squirmish music, at time we rock the f$%^ out so trust me when I say it will handle your volume needs. Try one to see if the EQ is to your liking, but I have been through a lot of amp setups, and now I only have that and a gk 700rb. It is my sound.

Also, I got for about 560 new, I don't think any setup that has near the power would be anywhere near that price range.

5. I voted for the QSC. Being a very happy Acme owner myself (DPC1400X through a Low B-4) I know what that extra power is going to do for you:eek: ! The GK (an excellent amplifer BTW) is going to color the tone a lot with an URB. I think the Avalon/QSC combo would be more versatile and complimentry to what you need to use it for. Hope that helps.

6. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Both excellent points...this is getting harder and harder to decide. I guess it would be a lot cheaper to go the GK route.

GPB -- do you think 1200 watts might be an overkill into 2 B-1s? You're putting 1400 into a B-4 -- maybe the PLX is TOO much juice for those Acmes...

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You might want to check out the BBE BMax preamp (I believe they run about $300 USD for the SS model). Then there's 2nd hand Ampeg SVP-Pro's or a SansAmp RBI.

Is your B-1 the 8ohm version?

I'm sure you're aware of the impedence implications on how you use the power amp. If you get two 4ohm cabs, you would have to run the amp non-bridged (probably use parallel mode), otherwise you could bridge it into two 8ohm cabs.

It's always better to have more power than you think you need, just use it discretely.

8. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    GPB -- do you think 1200 watts might be an overkill into 2 B-1s? You're putting 1400 into a B-4 -- maybe the PLX is TOO much juice for those Acmes... [/B][/QUOTE]

Aram, there's really no problem using a powerful amplifier with drivers. The PLX series is practicly bullit proof but I would suggest the 2402 with it's switching power supply over the 1200. In any case the PLX series amplifiers all have gain control right on the front pannel. You should also concider that the PLX offers a great deal of flexibility with two channels, bridgable, clip limiting, and filtering. Then there's the ever growing world of high quality preamplification.

9. No, not really. Just run in stereo! If you're using 8 ohm B-1's the 1202 will be pushing about 200 watts per cab in stereo, 4 ohm ones would be running at about 325 watts. If you break it down my 1400 watts is really around 350 watts per speaker... right about the same as your proposed scenario.

I'll even echo one of the other suggestions of getting a 1602 or 2402. You could use either one in stereo without any ill effects (once again using descretion with your volume levels). The Acmes seem to "open up" really nicely in the 350 watt per speaker range. I dig headroom so I'm a proponent of clean power.

10. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    Why is the power amp winning?
    A power amp is a power amp... Nothing special, right? :confused:

11. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    lo freq -- My B1 is 8ohm...I was planning on using the PLX in bridge mono mode (for both one and two cab setups). I agree about the power -- IMO bridge mode offers the most bang for the buck.

Vic -- I thought the 1202 was also a switching power supply...can you (or someone) elaborate on the differences between the 2402 and 1202?

GPB -- I think running the 1202 in stereo might be too little power for two 8ohm Acmes...If I go the stereo route, I would sell my RMX 2450 and get a PLX 2402 to use with both rigs (small Acme rig, and larger Bergantino rig).

My bass in your -- I think the power amp is winning because with Acme cabs, you really have to take power into consideration. They're very inefficient, and need massive amounts of headroom for them to open up. That having been said, I'm still not sure the 1202 is the right path, because 600w per driver now seems like it might be a bit much (even if i'm careful). Although, the gigs I will be using this rig for are not going to be super-loud rock gigs, so maybe it's not too risky...

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hey Vic, all the PLX amps have switch-mode power supplies. :)

13. You may want to keep in mind that GK amps are pretty much the amp of choice with a lot of upright players.
    Ron Carter
    Charlie Haden
    Robert Hurst
    Dave Holland
    Roscoe Beck
    Lee Sklar
    lots of others.

14. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Ooops! Your absolutly right. I stand corrected...I ment the 2402 has the different/better? output circutry.

By the way I'm using the QSC back in my bass rig. I had my Carver ZR modded by 8th Nerve and it's now driving my Avalon Opus' in the hi-fi with amazing results. Part of the upgrade is a very quiet fan from Germany. It's nice to know there is such an animal. I have no plans to refan the QSC. To be honest, my sub just loves the ZR, I'm getting another.

15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Hi Vic,

Okay, you're probably thinking of the two-tier class H output section in the PLX 2402, which boosts the efficiency over that of the regular class AB output in the PLX 1602 and 1202.

16. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Bob -- thanks for chiming in on this thread -- can you elaborate on this point?

-Aram

17. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    True, but a QSC PLX is something else!

If there was no GK, I'd still have the PLX 2402 and Alembic FX-1 that I had. For some reason though, regardless of price, the GK was just more 'me'. God Bless my 1001RB II

18. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    also very lightweight and more power (which IS necessary for acme cabs), someone mentioned using his GK with eden and EA cabs which are some of the most efficient cabs out there and acme probably being the least of course. :meh:

19. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    and not to be too harsh, but there are certain reliability issues associated with GK.

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    The class H (a derivative of class AB) output section is electrically more efficient than the class AB circuitry we use in the lower-power models (~300 W/ch and less).