Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

qsc plx 1602 cable/ bridging quick question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davelowell, Jun 26, 2003.

1. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    i have the 1602, and have been using one side @ 4 ohms.

i have thought about bridging it to try and get a little more headroom.

now on to my question... can i use the same speakon to 1/4 inch cable i've been using, just switch the mode button?

i'm sure this is a one word answer, but i want to make sure.

thanks, dave

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Not quite. You need to modify the Speakon cable by moving one wire from the 1- pin to the 2+ pin. This should only require simple hand tools.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I don't know what connectors your speaker cab has, but putting 1600W through a 1/4" connector is not a good idea. You really should use speakon to speakon, or speakon to banana, or speakon to spade lugs, almost anything but 1/4".

4. wiggleworm

wiggleworm

May 29, 2003
    I just started another thread on this; should have read yours first! I was in exactly the same situation as you, Dave. My cheap & easy solution was to strip 1/4" of insulation off of one end of my speaker cable and connect the wires to the two red binding posts. Presto, instant bridging.

Low-freq, can you elaborate on the dangers of using 1/4 connectors?

ww

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Dave, please read the fine manual. ;) Look on page 16 and see how the Speakon needs to be hooked up. It's really easy to open and change the connections.

6. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    If you end up getting another cable to be your 'bridged' cable, be sure to mark it at the 'amp' end somehow so they don't get mixed up.

On the cables I use in bridged mode, I use blue electrical tape wrapped around the amp end. I leave a 2 inch tail of tape to write AMP - BRIDGED. I make sure I always set up my own amp/cabinet connnections to keep it straight.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Excellent point!

8. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I hope it's not too bad, because I'm putting 1800 watts through a cable with a 1/4".

Maybe it is a big loss of power...but I haven't had any adverse consequences with this.

9. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    thanks, bob, i bought it used, though, and wanted just a quick answer before a gig. i will contact qsc about a manual and some rear rack ears, also.

dave

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Here's a post by Bob Lee regarding this. [It's at the bottom of that page.]

I was under the impression that if you run too much current through a connection with too small of a contact area, it could produce arcing (sparks). [Ever hear of an arc welder?]

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.