Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC PLX 1602, EA CXL 112L

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaggedsphere, Jan 16, 2003.

1. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    -QSC PLX 1602
    -EA CXL 112L

Would one side of the PLX provide enough power to comfortably run the 112L? So that in the future I could add another cab....

If so say hello to my new portable rig! :cool:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Hi,
    this is the exact setup I have. I thought about what would give me enough power today and tomorrow before buying.

The CXL112L can take 350W at 8 ohm.
    If you run the PLX 1602 at it's lowest possible output, i.e. just using one of the two stereo channels at 8 ohms, you'll get 300W.

If I add another CXL112 at one point, my total resistance will go from 8 to 4 ohms. At this stage, total output is 500W per channel. So, you'll have some headroom!

cheers
    David

P.S. I'm not proclaiming to be an expert on amps / impedance by any manner of means. My knowledge is pretty much what I've picked up here from the ampfaq and reading discussions. If I'm talking out my arse, please let me know

3. I believe if you hook up the second cab in stereo, both cabs will get 300W. The 300W per channel at 8 ohms, I believe, means that there would be an 8 ohm load on each channel. In order to get 500W out of a channel, you would have to have a 4 ohm load on that channel.

300W into one of those cabs should be pretty good. I am running my CXL-112 with the iAmp 350, and the results are great. I imagine this thing would crush with the full 350, though.

Geoff

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY

Of course. Duh, my bad.

5. Well I don't have an EA cab, but I do have a QSC PLX -1602 and I run my amp bridged 8ohms into an Epifani T-112 and it sounds awesome!!! I can't believe how much wattage these new 12' cabs can take. I wouldn't recomend that you bridge your QSC unless you found out for sure if the EA can handle 1000 watts in the bridged mode. Of course I would love to have 2 of the Epifani 12's and get a 4 ohm load with 1600 watts coming out my QSC. WOW!!!:D That might be something you need to look into... to see if the EA's can handle that much wattage together being you want 2 of them.

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I run a PLX 1602 bridged into an EV 1150M cabinet (8 ohms, rated 200 watts). I've had no problems, but then I maintain a lot of headroom--I've only lit up the clip LEDs maybe three times in five years. I'm usually just flashing the -10 dB indicators.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Bridge it!

PLX1602 bridged:
    into one CxL-112--
    1100W -> 8 Ohms
    into two CxL-112s (paralleled)--
    1600W -> 4 Ohms

CAVEAT:
    Just watch your input gain and/or master volume; you can blow your speakers if not careful!