QSC PLX 1602 - Thanks to seansbrew!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by teedub, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Sorry for the ALL CAPS title, but I've edited it as an update to my power amp situation.....Click here for the latest and not so greatest....... or just scroll down to post #13.

Anyone remember this quote from not one week ago?

Well, I'm about to eat my words.

I've just ordered a QSC PLX 1602, and will be placing my beloved SVT-4 up for sale. I am just playing too many smaller local gigs to warrant the heft of the SVT, so I am forcing myself to downsize to save my back. My days of INSANO ROCK are waning........but if ever need be I'll still have the oomph I need.

A big thanks to seansbrew, though, who indirectly convinced me that this was a good idea. ;)
  2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    What pre are you going to use?

I use a BBE BMAX-T into a PLX1602 into an Ampeg 6x10. I recently played a show with a backline consisting of an SVT-4 into the same cab, and was left unimpressed by the tone, and the volume. For reference, this is in a heavy rock band.

What makes you think you won't be able to "insano rock" with the 1602?
  3. Thanks for the advice! I'm planning to just use my SABDDI until I decide on a rackable pre, I'll be trying an SVP-CL, SVP-Pro, Eden, and Aguilar for sure, and I'll add the BBE to the list, if I can find one to try locally!

As for the "insano rock", I was more referring to me than my gear. :) That's why I added "but if ever need be I'll still have the oomph I need.", the PLX1602 actually pushes more wattage @ 4ohms a side than the SVT-4!
  4. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    You might also want to consider Alembic and Demeter. Both are excellent.

I also find that an ART Tube Channel in front of any of them to level and fatten works pretty well.
  5. Thanks for the advice! I'll take as many suggestions as I can, I love to try before I buy, so I'll take my axe and my list to the store!

Keep 'em coming!

I like the tight fingerfunk tone that comes from my Bridge J, and I fatten it up with some P for slap, so any pre that accurately brings those to life will be worth looking at.
  6. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    I run mine bridged. Can't beat the headroom. Try out lots of pres, and see what you like. Also, if you try the BBE, the Alembic, and a few other pres of that type, remember that they are set flat at 0-10-0, not 5-5-5.
  7. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I like having a rig that is lighter and more portable, this is a good thing for me. I was getting tired of the weight of my old rig. I was hauling around 2 Ampeg BXT 4x10 cabs, 1 Ampeg SVT 4 pro + rack (heavy duty) and tuner. That is a total weight of 300 lbs.
    My new big rig (if you can call it that) is one Schroeder 1212, one Schroeder 1210, one Eden Navigator + QSC PLX 1602. The total weight is about 118 lbs. For the most part all I need is one cab for most situations.

If my back was not such an issue I would probably not be concerned with the weight, but I have to do what I have to do. Anyway, this setup allows me to hear myself better than the Ampeg rig (if you can believe it)

Now the hard part is going to be for you to pick out a pre amp to go with your power amp. The beauty of that is, pre amps dont take up much space. You can use certain pre's for certain gigs or basses(that is if you have more that one). I have two so far, and will probably get a third if I see a good deal.
  8. Thanks again seansbrew! We had nearly IDENTICAL rigs.

I'm leaning (quite heavily) towards the BBE Bmax SS. I have yet to read a bad review regarding that pre, and it sounds like it will do exactly what I need......tight, clean tone. Just want my basses heard the way they should be.:D Only problem is that I have nowhere locally that stocks it, so I can't test it out.

I think I'll also be getting rid of my flight case rack. It's built like a tank, but it's SUPER heavy. Gator or SKB style cases should be adequate for local gigs. If I DO need to travel, I'll just have to pack them away a little more carefully. I'll probably package it with the head when it goes up for sale.

Do you recommend racking the power amp seperate from everything else (pre, wireless, tuner, power conditioner)? Maybe throwing the 2u power amp into a 3u rack, just in case ;)? And then keep my current 4u rack for the rest?
  9. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    This was another obstacle for me. I have an eight space rack that would house all my rack gear ( tuner, power conditioner, two pre amps, effects processor, power amp). But than there I go adding weight again, taking away the portability. So I decided to go with a four space rack to house my Eden nav (two spaces) and QSC amp (tow spaces). I am getting rid of my power conditioner and going with a high end power strip. I am also going to go with a high end pedal tuner and not use a rack tuner. I have chosen to not use the effects processor. The only effect I really ever use is an envelope filter anyway. I will try this out for a while and see how it works. If I dont like the small pieces I will go back to the idea of a bigger rack, maybe a six space, mmmmmmm:eyebrow: .
  10. We seem to have similar problems. :ninja:

Though the power conditioner and tuner aren't really adding much in the weight department. ;)

I think I'm going to go with the two racks, one 3u for the 2u power (and an empty space I could throw the pre in if need be, or whatever 1u gadget I get next), and keep my existing 4u one for the rest. They'll both be SUPER light, and I can now carry them both in one trip. I can't wait to put this in motion! Oh wait, I already did.:D
  11. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Having had a chance to use a PLX1602 for a while, my guess is that you're gonna love yours. :)

Probably goes without saying but that never stopped me before :rolleyes: so: be careful of which model case you switch to. I have one of the roto-molded SKBs -- good quality for the price, extremely sturdy, but nowhere near "light."

You weren't asking me but see previous comment about that never stopping me. :D

It all comes down to how many individual pieces you want to lug versus how much each piece weighs. Having to make an extra trip to load in or out can be as much of a pain as having to lug a heavy rack. To me, ideal is rack in one hand, cab in the other, gig bag on my back, and go. (Well, that or less.)

Sounds like what you have would fit in a 6U, and because of the way the PLX series is cooled I don't think lack of airspace would be much of an issue. But it would leave you no room for expansion. (That could be good or bad, depending on whether you're looking for anti-GAS tools or you suffer from it on a regular basis. ;) ) So splitting into two racks might be your best option.

12. Thanks for the info! I've a Gator 4u rack that's REALLY light, I think I'll be getting the very same one again, just deeper to accommodate the QSC.

I'm not travelling for gigs as much as I did in my "youth". I'm only 27, but married, mortgage......maybe kid(s) on the way, will keep me gigging closer to home, which is a good thing. And since I won't be taking my gear on a plane or in the bus, I probably won't need all that bulletproofing anymore.

So, two 4u, lightweight racks will be super for my needs, and leaves room for expansion if needed, but I think they'll remain empty for the next while..........................:D
  13. Almost a month later, and it has not arrived yet.

Bought it off of Evilbay, and the last e-mail I got from the seller was that he'd "get back to me". That was last Friday, and he hasn't returned any e-mails since...........

Not only that, I've got upcoming gigs and no power amp. My old SVT-4 arrived in Ohio this afternoon.

I plan on filing with eBay and PayPal tomorrow morning, but my frustrations are running quite high. I'm currently out nearly $600CDN, and can't buy "another" amp until that money sees it's way back into my hands. I guess I'll just rent one, but I am hoping that this gets resolved quickly and peacefully, though I doubt it.

Basically just a rant, but if anyone can lend some of their own experience my way, it would be greatly appreciated.:(
  14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Man, that sucks. What was the seller's feedback rating?
  15. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    i've found that a Nasty-gram from a lawyer (solicitor or barrister in Canada?) will go further than filing with evilbay or PayNotMyPal. You should definitely do both, if he has your money, and you have no goods after a month, that's wire fraud in the US. Crossing international borders? That's even better- international wire fraud, possibly racketeering, or some other form of (dis)organized crime. Please think about hiring a lawyer to write a letter. It'll do your heart good, and the seller's might get a bit accelerated. It's a simple case, really, with many angles to exploit. I think you'd find any law firm would take it on.

That really sucks about the gig with no amp. Perhaps you could get a DI to use, and go through the PA? I've had to do that before. It's not as good as your own amp, but it beats renting an amp.

Good luck to you. Hope you get satisfaction, in whatever form suits your fancy.

Who was the seller, anyway? We could all stand the heads-up.
  16. It was nearly 99%, but "private". I was a little hesitant about that, but he only had a few negative feedbacks for over 740 transactions/4 years. Seemed decent through e-mails, too. But, in this month alone (since our transaction), he's racked up 12 negatives. Seems like he's heading downhill, and he thinks he's taking my money with him.......not if I have anything to say about it. Here's a link to the auction......

His name's hearthopes and I'm going to start the ball rolling right away.

Where's the best place to get a PLX 1602 then??!!?! I still need one! Maybe I should go for the PLX2 1104 or 1804? I can't really get one now until I get my money back from "hearthopes", though.......this REALLY sucks.

That's a GRAND idea. And it just so happens that one of our guitarists is a lawyer! I'll get the legalities underway with the PayPal/eBay folks, and then I'll let him know about my situation. Thanks for a great idea!
    I've got a few bass player friends in town. Shouldn't be a tough quest to locate an extra power amp for a few nights. They're all gear-heads themselves. :D
    Thanks! I hope I can get all this straightened out. Best case scenario......the amp is here waiting for me tomorrow...........but it doesn't seem likely.:ninja:
    I don't think that "hearthopes" is planning to do anymore selling............he "sold" 4 of these amps for 450 each, I'm sure he thinks he's doing just fine........FOR NOW.:spit:
  17. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Do you have his email address and his real address? Oh, DO post it here, I have people in GA...[evil grin smiley]. I HATE thieves, especially the cowards who do it on the internet, and especially ones who try to take advantage of fellow bassists! (See "Let's Buy a Wish, Pt. II for proof of this!) :D :D :D
  18. LOL! Thanks for the backup! :D

All I've got is a name and e-mail addy. Basically I've been told that if he doesn't respond to my claim within 10 days, I'll get a complete refund.
    And for some reason, I don't think he's going to respond. Meh, he probably will.......

I've contacted Lord Valve for pricing on the new PLX 1804 (13 lbs, 900W@4ohms per side?!?!? Come on now!:D).
  19. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    The new PLX2 series seems cool, but i *think* i read somewhere that you can't bridge the 1804 at 4 ohms. Could be wrong, but it's something to keep in mind.
  20. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA