1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

QSC PLX-1804 Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Growly Lytes, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
  2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    The guy is a total moron. Class H is QSC's version of Class D?!?!... Total drivel. I couldn't read any further. And neither should you. Typical internut reviewer - dumb.

3. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    "Though there is no technical description of this limiter, itÂ’s probably the same limiting technology used in recording studios to limit (crush might be a better word) dynamics."

He goes on to note that the limiting feature cannot be switched off, complaining that audiophiles "spend a lot of money to achieve realistic dynamics."

:scowl:

He must listen to music pretty darn loud in his living room if he's going to be driving that 2x800 watt amp into clipping.

4. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    C'mon Growly Lytes! Are you still pondering getting this thing? Ive been reading some of your PLX1804 threads and its time to stop questioning it and just buy that mutha. Im a proud owner of the plx1804. I boought mine used @ 2 years ago for 600bux and never had a problem. The worst thing I had to do was turn my preamp gain up a little higher than I was used to (@1-2 oclock). After that, I had no problem cutting through or hearing myself next to 2 guitarists with Twin Reverb Amps and a loud drummer. I never have a need for more power, ever. :smug: I love this amp and its sooooo lite. You wont be dissapointed.

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    If my dear friend Passinwind who is a real smart and educated techie didn't use an 1804 and say it was great I would block all future posts and email containing any reference to it ; }

6. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I doubt there's a touring band in the world that didn't have a stack or two of 1804 amps in their rig at one point or another.

7. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    IO have the TB proof that its a great amp & that i will like it.
    So Thanks Monroe im going for it without the conversion.Frankly its got me pretty drained & im just not going to worry about the sensitivity.Thats It ! If gotta turm the mutha up she going up.
    Thanks guys i always know il get put into place round these parts.

8. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    Charlie is responsible for me owning an 1804 and I've never regretted it. Place your order now and give us an update when you've put it through the paces. Just do it! :bassist::bassist::bassist:

9. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I've had an 1804 for a couple years. Bought mine used. Many dozens of gigs, zero reliability issues. Plenty of power.

10. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I used one with an Eden Navigator and it was outstanding! You wont find a better lightweight power amp that fits in a shallow depth rack and puts out such this much juice.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If they're using amps that small, they'd have the 1802, but more likely Powerlite.

12. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Don't over think it. It's a very light, very reliable power amp made by a more than reputable company. A QSC product is a no brainer. If the specs work for you buy it.