1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

QSC PLX 2402 Rattle, Bob Lee steps in.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JonathanD, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Since I no longer would be considered to "have an ax to grind" about QSC (as if I ever did)......

IIRC, the PLX series have the PWBs secured by a clever system with 'keyholes" in the PWB, that fit over posts and lock under the heads of the posts. That way one or two screws secure it, yet it is supported at many places on the board....

I have heard of them becoming a loose fit on the board, and allowing the PWB to rattle.

To be fair, I have not SEEN it, but then I don't take apart very many PLX units....... !

Anyhow, that could make a metal-type rattle, and also would not be easily fixed by some padding.

Since it is used, and off warranty, if that were the ACTUAL problem, a bit of flexible glue, or the non-corrosive type of RTV silicone* on each loose post and the PWB around it would hold it against rattling.

* common silicone sealers give off a weak acid as they cure

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Some Crest amps I've seen are like that too. A strategically placed o-ring or rubber washer of the right size works sometimes as a fix IME. However, a lot of times this entails more mucking around than I'd feel comfortable suggesting a "civilian" try.

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That works. We have small neoprene "doughnuts" for doing that.

4. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    You gotta admit this is very generous for a manufacturer to offer, I'm impressed.

5. I've always been impressed by QSC's customer service and responsiveness - Bob also has been a great resource here on the forums for solving these types of issues.

Don't give up on the PLX 2402 - it's a great amp that's been a workhorse for me. It was my main gigging bass amp for 2 years - now it's my subwoofer amplifier for the PA.

Jay

6. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Heck ya...
    PM coming.
    Sweet. Goes to show that you can't judge a company by one experiance good or bad.

7. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree. This is above and beyond what I would have wanted for sure. I was just hoping to get an RA and maybe get it in under warranty.
    Jonathan

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The amp can't rattle if the speaker cabinet isn't vibrating, which it shouldn't, yet I see no complaint about that. Isolate the amp with a pad. Or send the speakers back for de-vibrationizing. ;)

9. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Just to chime in here. I have used PLX power amps on top of bass cabs for years with no problem. I also use a 2" foam pad inbetween the rack and cab and have had no rattles whatso ever. I can't believe the problem cannot be fixed with some kind of minor bracing or support, but, obviously, that has not happened in this case.