QSC PLX 2402, SansAmp PSA-1, Peavey Bass-cabs...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phyrexian, May 6, 2003.

1. Hi there,

my gear saga continues...

I did some searches, but I'd like to put my own story with my specific gear...

I now own a nice Ampeg SVT-3 Pro amplifier which fits me well,
    but sometimes it's lacking headroom.
    I'm also very happy with my SansAmp PSA-1 preamp.

I use two basscabinets; two Peavey 410TVX's (each rated at 350 watt, 8 Ohm).

Now I want to complete my PSA-1 bas-rig with a poweramp. I picked out the QSC PLX 2402 poweramp. I want this one because it puts out two times 425 watt at 8 Ohm: my Peavey cabs will get more than enough power this way (425 power to 350 rms), and I should have enough headroom, wouldn't I?

Now, I'm also planning to use the PLX 2402 and the PSA-1 as my guitarrig. I'll need to get me another guitarcabinet which I'll hook up to one channel of the PLX. Probably a Tech 21 Trademark 4x12 (rated at 400 watt, 8 Ohm). Now, I'm a metalhead and play mostly hi-gain guitarstuff. Will the PLX 2402 be overkill for the Tech21 cabinet? I've looked for other cabinets, but most guitarcabs are only rated at 300 watt maximum (Marshall, MesaBoogie, Peavey, ...)
    I know that more power is always a plus for bass-rigs, but what about guitarrigs? Most guitarheads are 100-150 watts so headroom is completly different.

I guess the PLX 2402 will be a nice poweramp for the PSA-1 because it's solidstate and a PSA-1 should sound best with SS-power (as experienced by many users).

thanks, all info is much appreciated!

2. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yes, the 2402 will be overkill for the guitar rig, but nothing says you have to use all that wattage just because it's there. Just don't turn it up so much.

Guitar speakers are a LOT more efficient than bass speakers because they don't have to produce the lower frequencies, plus the human ears perception of loudness at different frequencies is not linear - we hear mids and high mids a lot better than we do lows. That's why guitarists can get great, loud sound out of a 60 watt combo, and you're looking at pushing 900 watts to keep up.
  3. Hmz, I'll need to be careful with the volume... :) I can live with that.
  4. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yes, be VERY careful.........I'd bet that with a 425 watt guitar rig, you'll have the ability to stun small animals with a barre chord.......
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I used my PLX 2402 last summer in the very same manner...Bass pre fed one PLX channel which went to Avatar B112/C15 cabinets. Guitar pre (Fender M80 (whos clean channel sounds incredible for bass btw) into the other PLX channel into Avatar G112 (Eminence V30 clone)/C15 cabinets.

The level control for the guitar channel was set way, way lower than the bass channel.

Your bleeding ears will tell you if it's too loud :D :bassist:

Now I use plug my bass preamp and Behringer Vamp2 into a mixer then run the PLX stereo for both bass and guitar. Speaker emulation in the Vamp2 tames the signal so my tweeters stay happy. Haven't used it outside the home but it should be pretty brutal live.
  6. Thanks guys,

my main concern is that it would be possible to damage the guitar-speakercabinet, not?