QSC PLX / Aguilar db680 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacove, Feb 3, 2004.

1. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi there,

i recently bought a QSC PLX 3402 and an Aguilar DB680 pre-amp. I was just wondering if anyone have got any experience with using the features of the QSC, the low 30hz/50hz cuts etc. Also, how much gain do you send from the Aguilar to the QSC. And finally, what's you favourite EQ on the Aguilar. I personally find a bit of wide-band boost around the 250hz area and a narrow boost around 2 khz very tasteful. Jacob :)
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i like running the power amp wide open, while setting the DB680's gain halfway, and setting the master to taste.

EQ-wise, that's a good setting for "regular" cabs. i like boosting the bass knob to 3:00, cutting the narrowest possible band at 300 or 400 Hz for clarity, and cutting the same narrowest band at around 2.3 kHz to rid of the clackiness. gives me a smoooooooth, sweet, fat, chewy sound with my sadowskys. sometimes, for extra "oomph", instead of cutting the 300-400Hz, i'll boost a narrow hump around 180Hz. literally chest pounding.
  3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Regarding the QSC, in which mode do you plan to run it (parallel, stereo, or bridged)?

Do you plan to use a BEAD...(whatever) bass through it?

What cab(s) will you be driving?

How loud do you plan to get while playing?

[All these things can influence the settings.]
  4. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Well, I plan running one channel in stereo, I've got two night/day cabs, a SWR triad and a Ampeg 610hlf, which one I use depend on the gig. At the moment I use a Ernie Ball Sterling, but I'm waiting for a brand new vintage 4-string Sadowsky. My other sadowsky got stolen just before christmas. :bawl: By the way my QSC seems to distort in channel 1.

I've just posted thread about this, please let me know if you have experienced anything similar.

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Since you play standard four strings, you can use the 30Hz filter (I don't think there is really a need to as long as you don't use some wierd effects, like an octaver, but it seems to make some people more comfortable).
    Most people use the clip limiter. I haven't been, but will start shortly; my band is playing a 10,000 sqft room in a few weeks and I'll have no PA support (time to crank it up!) Anyway, it's the safest way to go in general.

[Your amp problem sounds like something is wrong with the amp (assuming you're using the same cables for input and output when you are switching from one channel to the other -- if that's not what you're doing, then try that).]

If you have any other questions, let us know.

Good luck with the problem.
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    OK, I have the gain somewhere between 9:00 and 12:00 depending on the bass and how hot it's output it.

Like joker, I run the bass at around 3:00. The parameteric eq depends on the room and the bass. If I'm using one of my bart equipped basses, I'm boosting the 250 hz range on the bass. If not, I'm boosting in that range on the 680 with a 20% wide band.

I also like to boost the 4.1khz range, with a 25% wide band.

If I'm playing stuff on bridge pickup only, I'll kick in the low boost stage one. I've had no need to ever use the double low boost - maybe because all my basses are active so there's usually some bass boost coming from there anyway.
  7. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Wasn't there an issue with the PLX input sensitivity and the 680? Didn't the PLX need to be altered/adjusted by the factory or an authorised servicing dealer?