Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC PLX modification needed for Aguilar DB659?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KB, Jan 13, 2004.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I found the former thread on this, but I never quite figured out the conclusion. I am thinking about getting an Aguilar DB659 preamp and a QSC PLX 1602 power amp (light rig with Aggie tone) and a read in a former thread that some people thought the power amp needed a modification to increase the gain to work well with the DB659. Is this true or can the DB659 run fine with nice tone and plenty of "push" without the modification into the PLX 1602. I know that Lord Valve can make this modification if needed

I plan to use this setup bridged into my two Aguilar GS112 cabinets which should give me plenty of headroom (1600W into 4 Ohms).

Please advise, especially those with the DB659/PLX1602 combo.

-KB

2. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    bumpity

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If the preamp can put out a maximum RMS output voltage of just over 1 volt, it can drive the PLX 1602 to full power. If all it has is a nominal rating, then about -10 dBV should do it because the peaks would be reaching about 1 volt (0 dBV).

4. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Does anyone know if the Aguilar DB659 meets this spec? I would bet it does since there are a few people around here with the DB659 / PLX 1602 combo, but I just want to make sure before I buy.

Thanks for the input Bob. It is nice to have a QSC person around.

-KB

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    bump again

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I'll be at the NAMM show later today and this weekend. I'll try to stop by the Aguilar booth and see what I can find out.

7. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    E-mail Aguilar:p

8. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I did email Aguilar, but I guess they are busy at NAMM because I didn't get a response.

Bob, that would be great if you see them at NAMM. I should be buying both of these items very soon.

-KB

9. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
  10. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    B
    U
    M
    P

:bassist:

11. anybody ever found out about this? i am considering the combination myself, when i get my hands a db659 :)

12. doh... the answer was in the other thread