Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC PLX or Crown Macro-Tech ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jwendt99, Feb 11, 2005.

1. jwendt99

jwendt99

Oct 20, 2004
    Northern CA
    In moving to a preamp/poweramp rig, I have kind of narrowed down the power amp to a QSC PLX 2402 or an older Crown Macro-Tech 1200 (seems to be a lot of these on eBay). I'd appreciate hearing thoughts from any of you that have tried both of these power amps (or that have other suggestions). I know that the Crown is bigger and heavier and not as powerful (but probably still powerful enough). What I'm really looking for is great tone, deep bass and some major punch. I'd really like to know how to get a lot of punch from my rig. I haven't decided on a preamp yet but want to try the F1-X, BMAX-T, VTBP-201, and SVPCL for starters. Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice that y'all might have on these poweramps or on getting a very punchy sound.
    Thanks, Jim

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    FWIW, if i was going to go machro tech i'd want a 2400 for that much weight. machro techs sound wonderful and have tons of power. they also are really heavy and are fairly deep (as are the plx series). i dont think you could go wrong with a macro tech, but the powerlifting gets old.

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I've used all kinds of top end Crown power for years and for me, they're just about impossible to beat. The things that can be done with the PIP modules are amazing.
    If you can handle the size and the weight go for it.

Having said all that, I've been using a PLX for about 2 years since I can no longer handle the size and weight. Other than some intitial and easily remedied vibration issues with internal components in the air ducting and circuit boards, it has proven to be a good sounding, solid, reliable workhorse.

Both are top end, no need to make excuses choices.

4. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I'm the proud new owner of a Crest ST1500; it uses high speed switching technology a la PLX and Stewart. Although I've never owned a PLX, they are very good and many guys own one, but I've heard some ppl refer to their sound as a bit sterile.
    As for Crown, they are tops for reliability and have equally impressive low end performance as Crest, but IME the high end is a bit less "sophisticated" than Crest. Just by a hair, though. So Crown would be a great choice as well.

The bottom end that my Crest seems to put out is ultra powerful and the sonic detail all throughout is excellent. And it weighs 23 lbs. I would highly suggets you take a close look at the Crest ST series.

The preamp one is easy, Alembic. :D

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    alembic..........ahhhhh the good old days.........

check out www.basstasters.com while the clips are not the same as being there, they do seem to give a good representation of the various preamps. For around 350 you can usually score an alembic or demeter 201 without the jensen xlr, demeters with the jensen are usually closer to 500. those are two of my favorites, but there are gobs of good preamps out there right now.

6. jwendt99

jwendt99

Oct 20, 2004
    Northern CA
    I guess my primary unknown is whether power amps with traditional monster-transformers-and-caps power supplies (Macro-Tech, CA9/12, B4R, etc) deliver more punch/slam/kick (fast transient response) and more low bass than the power amps with switching supplies (PLX, ST, etc)? Are the modern power amp designs using switching supplies equivalent to the boat anchor power amps in this regard?
    Jim

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It all depends on how much punch, slam, and low bass are in the input signal. If the amp is not defective, it will deliver whatever is in the input signal and not add or take away anything.