Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC PLX Power Amp Owners???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumpin4, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Thumpin4

Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    I'm getting ready to buy a PLX1602 to go along with my Ampeg preamp. I was just wondering about the half circles sticking out on the face of these power amps. Are they used to pull the amp in and out of a rack or just put there for looks? I'm also worried if this will keep me from being able to close the cover on my rack case?

Thanks, Jody

2. They be rack handles and no, they don't pose clearance issues with rack covers.

3. Sorry for hijacking, but can I run my PLX1202 at 16 ohms when not in bridge mode?

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The handles extend 1.6 inches or 40.6 mm in front of the front rails of the rack.

5. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    +1.

I just got a 1602 PLX (GREAT Amp by the way. LOVE it! Replaced my RMX1450) No clearance issues whatsoever in my standard SKB rack case with covers.

6. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    It also looks like they can be removed, is this so? I tried at one point but had only a worthless screwdriver handy and couldnt budge them.

The face was too thick because of them to use my racks screws. But I found some others that were longer so I left it alone.

Troll

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    You should not remove them, as that would open up parts of the chassis and decrease the strength of the rack ears.

8. I have a similar setup:

Ampeg SVP-CL and PLX 1202.
    Well, the front handles of the PLX are kind of bulky and they really prevent me from accessing the preamp buttons.
    A simple solution. Leave an empty rack space or, what I did, I got a 2U rack and put the PLX in it. THen it's far away enough from the SVP-CL. The SVP-CL is at the bottom of a 4U with a Furman at the top and a dbx compressor (1 empty space between pre and dbx).
    Then I end up with 2 rack of approximately the same weight...

My 2 cents.