QSC PLX/RMX differences, EBS 410, Demeter/Alembic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jefferson04, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Is there a difference in sound quality between the two lines or is it only a weight difference? It would be nice to have a 21 pound amp, but the cost difference just doesnt justify it.

Also, if anyone has played an EBS 410 cab, how does it sound? I'd also appreciate a comparison to a Berg 322. I build my own basses and would like to preserve their natural tone in my sound. I haven't heard much about the EBS on here, but it seems like an excellent cab.

Lastly, how does the demeter VTBP-201s compare to the Alembic F-1X? Which one does the best job of keeping the tone of the bass?
  2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The PLX amps are measurably cleaner--lower noise and distortion--but I think it would be very hard to tell them apart sonically in anything but a very controlled listening test.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The EBS 4x10 (which I own) is one of the loudest cabs I've heard. While the frequency range goes down to 70 Hz, I have no problems reproducing the low B on my Jerzy Drozd 6-string.

The Bergie I played (I think it was the 322) had less presence in the mids and slightly rounder lows.

Both sounded great, and the differences that exist aren't huge, IMO.
  4. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I played Demeter 201, Stewart amp through 1 and 2 berg 322s in a large bar and this setup was too clean for me. I tried a Ashdown and it puts too much 'classic' tone in and my basses didnt show there own voice enough. I now use a Eden pre into a plx amp, 322 cabs and am VERY happy. The EBS cabs to me cut like Eden cabs but sound better. The EBS cabs seemed to have a mid boost in them but cant touch the berg cabs in the low or high department but still sound very nice. IMO, Ive tried accugrove, EBS, Bergantino, Aguilar, Glock, Epifani and all the major brands of cabs and the berg 322 is by far the best, followed by the epifani 410 for my taste. If you want a solid and clean tone I think you would be happy with the Demeter, qsc, 322 rig. BTW, try your bass with different setups cos the one thing Ive really noticed was how much things changed with different pre/amp and cab combos. Good luck.