Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC PLX users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by g4string, Jan 15, 2004.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Hey, my band is heading into the studio in a couple of weeks.

My question is about the fan on the PLX. Is the fan too loud for the studio. I am thinking about going direct. But, I like the sound of my Aggie 112's. So, I might want to mic my stack. I hope the PLX wont prevent this. Thanks!

2. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I have a PLX and an RMX. I've never even heard the PLX fan going, but I know it must be. I just got the RMX last week, and it's fn is very loud.

3. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    The fan in my PLX is also quite noisy. try setting the amp as far from the speakers as your cables allow it.

you can also try to isolate the cabs (or the amp) with the stuff that studios usually have for that.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

4. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal

...or you can put your amp in a room and the cab in another.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The PLX really isn't designed to be a recording amp. If you are planning on using mostly a mic'd signal, and you are going to be running your cab anything less than darn stinking loud (which would probably drown out the fan noise), either find a way to place the amp in another room (or far enough away), or use a different head/amp. I certainly wouldn't want my PLX 3002 sitting anywhere near a mic (unless, of course, I was pushing a really hot signal through the cab and close-mic'ing).

That said, you may also want to try recording a direct signal along with a mic'd one. This is my favorite technique.

Good luck, Tom.