Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC PLX w/ Ampeg SVP?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jmjbassplayer, Apr 4, 2005.

1. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Does anyone have this combo? I need a very flexible, somewhat lightweight amp rack, running into an SVT-410HLF along with a SVT-210E on bigger stages or loud rehearsals, then my Aguilar GS112 and 112NT for smaller situations. From what I read, that's a great poweramp, but I'm curious if anyone here has that preamp along with a PLX and likes it, and what model you'd recommend for me (meaning: do I really need the 3402?)
    Thanks in advance,
    JMJ

2. +1 for the QSC. I have a PLX 2402 and it is great. I'm in the process of trying a bunch of preamps at gigs so I can decide on one. The PLX 2402 puts out 1500 watts at 8 ohms and about 2000 at 4 ohms, I run an 8 ohm Avatar 212 cab and it is loud, punchy, and defined. There's really nothing like having plenty of headroom. I think whichever you pick you'll be happy with, but don't underpower yourself.

3. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    In my short time on TB, this is a question that always gets the thumbs up. If I could afford the UK's prices for a PLX then I would do the same.

4. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Yeah, I have used and loved this setup. Versatile, light and loud. I am selling an ampeg svp by the way.

5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've been using this rig for a while, and used to use the SVP with an Eden WT-1000. The PLX is much lighter than the Eden, which is nice. Its a whole lot of rock'n'roll in a reasonably small package, and I think that the PLX is superior to the power amps that Ampeg uses (like an SVT4). I won't get into the other head/rack issues ...

A 1602 is plenty of power for me in a loud rock/funk band, but my 410 cab is 4 ohm, so you may want to go one notch up if you're going to run it stereo.

6. Just a note if you go the SVP-CL route. The CL has somewhat low output in comparison with other pres and the 2402 requires higher input (voltage?) to attain it's rated power. You'll need to not attenuate the volume on the 2402 side to achieve high volume. A SVPCL w/2402 may not be the best matchup from that standpoint. I now use the CL to drive a Stew 2.1 and use the 2402 with an Eden Nav which has tone of gain available.

7. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    For the CL, just get the PLX from Lord Valve and have him adjust the input gain.

8. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Thanks all, good tips. Follow up questions:

- Does the SVP-Pro have the same difficulty with output as the CL?
    - If so, is the input gain something that needs to be tweaked inside the amp, and isn't really user adjustable?

Thanks,
    JMJ

9. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I have "the mod" and the SVP-Pro and I can drive the PLX into clipping with the attenuators 50% back, so with that unit I don't think you'd need "the mod". I got "the mod" so that I could run with anything as my tastes or gigs change.

10. Big D

Big D

May 26, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I have the SVP-Pro and a PLX 3402 driving 2 810E cabs (stereo mode, so 1100 watts per cab). The SVP-Pro signal is hot and I have yet to come close to clipping the PLX. The PLX at 10 to 11 o'clock and the SVP-Pro at 9 to 10 is very loud. I have never in my life had a bass amp that had so much headroom, and I have had some supposedly decent setups in the past.

I never really new about headroom until I found this forum. Headroom rules. Everything just sounds so much better. With your cabs though the PLX 3002 might do the trick.

To sum up: I love my SVP-Pro / PLX combo :hyper: . I traded in a whole SWR rig on my new setup (750x, Goliath cabs, etc.). No comparison.

11. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Thanks, Big D. Your example is VERY germane to my situation, so it's great to hear. Pickles: which PLX do you have that you drive into clipping? Wouldn't it then be better to just have the attenuators all the way up? I've always been told that one can just run power amps on full and do all the attenuating from the preamp. Is that logic faulty?

Also, now that I have my focus in on a great rig, where might the best place be to purchase a PLX 3402??

Thanks so much,
    JMJ

12. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    JMJ -

I "can" drive it into clipping, but never do while playing. Its a 1602 and it has plenty of headroom for me, and I'm a major power craver.

What I meant is that the SVP provides plenty of juice to drive the power amp, which is what the concern is with lower output preamps. If you can light up all the green LEDs, you have enough preamp signal. If you managed to clip a 3402 I'm quite sure your cabinets would detonate :eek:

I could run the attenuators all the way up, and adjust the "master" volume on the SVP down, but I prefer the way the SVP sounds when the output tube stage is running pretty hard, so I use the power amp attenuators to set the final output level.

13. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Pickles,

Ahhh...thanks for the clarification. That all makes perfect sense. I'm sold!

Now, any ideas (for Pickles or anyone) where the cheapest source for this amp might be? I think I'm talking about the 3402 here.

Best,
    JMJ

14. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Lord Valve. I'll PM you his email.

15. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Hi guys,
    Got in touch with Lord Valve, his pricing is great. I'll probably go this way, and get a 3402 just so I have some reserve power for some options later.

In various searches, some people seem to be commenting negatively on the PLX series' low-end output or sonic character and impact with lower frequencies. Do any of you PLX users have any thoughts on that? I like a quite beefy sound, which my current setup of two SVT-4PRO's definitely do provide.

I'd love to get your take(s) on that.
    Thanks,
    JMJ

16. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Rediculous. I even have the 30hz filter engaged on my PLX (which is a GREAT feature, IMO) and I still have gobs of low end on tap. A 3402 with a preamp would sure be a lot smaller and lighter than TWO SVT-4s :eek: isn't that 8 rack spaces?!

The 30hz filter removes some rumble, increases punch, and helps you keep from blowing up your cabs. I have 2 5 strings, a modulus Q5 and a Sadowsky Metro RV5 ... two of the best B's in the biz, and both sound fantastic through the PLX with the filter 'on'.

17. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Awesome. Thanks, pickles. I'm glad to hear that you're getting smokin' low end out of your rig. Good tip on the 30hz filter too...sounds like a smart move.
    JMJ

18. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    And yes, my shock mounted rack with Two SVT-4's, a Furman PL8 and a parametric EQ is really insane. It requires two guys to carry, and it's even heavy for two. The rack probably weighs about 60 lbs, and the two heads are 42 lbs each.

This is my whole motivation behind going SVP-Pro into a QSC PLX 3402 for local stuff while I'm not on tour and able to rely on stage hands and roadies.

Thanks,
    JMJ

19. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Looking forward to your comparison on how the rigs sound!