Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leftyguy81, Jan 15, 2006.

1. leftyguy81

Nov 11, 2005
    So ive decided im going to get one of these power amps to run with my RBI, and ampeg 810e-av Cab. But should i get the 3002, or the 3402? is the difference even going to be that substantial? anyone else here had experience with these power amps? also, should i run it stereo or bridged mono into the 810, and how exactly would i hook it up for bridged mono to the ampeg?
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Plenty of informed users here, this has been pretty well covered. Also, the qsc website has manuals on it.
    The power diff b/t 3004, and 3402 is negligable.
    You're gonna want to run bridged into your 810, stereo as it applies to bass is usually used to send lows to one speaker, and highs to another. Unless your cab is rated for 3000+ watts, I think you're buying more than you need...
  3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It depends mainly on what cabinet(s) you have and how much power they need for what you want to do. For the Ampeg you have, I think the PLX 1602 in bridged mono would do the trick.

As Chef said, the power difference between the PLX 3002 and 3402 is not great, only about 1 dB. But it's better to have more power than you need than less.
  4. e.maynard

Nov 11, 2004
    Afton, Virginia
    Is the ampeg cab 4 ohm? If so, even the PLX-1202 is rated at 1400 watts @ 4 ohms.....that seems quite adequate.
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

How long until we see the PLX2 on the street? I'm surprised I've seen no apparent mention of this amp on Talkbass thus far. The smaller ones look very attractive for my needs.
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Although a PLX1202 might be powerful enough...I'd recommend that you get the most PLX that you can afford!

Both the user's manual and the markings on the back of the amp tell you how to bridge... The only special piece of gear that you'll need is a speaker cable configured for bridging. The Amp end will need to be wired to 1+ and 2+ while the cabinet end will need to be wired to 1+ and 1-.
  7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    They'll start production on February 1, so they'll be at stores within days afterward.
  8. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    They look like interesting amps. QSC quality/support and lightweight.
    I heard prices are expected to be a little lower than current plx models. (around 10% or so) but market demand may keep that up at first.
    You might be able to get a quote here:

I bet there's confusion on which models are bridgeable. The 04's don't bridge but seem to be in a power range bass players would tend to use.

The rumble filter is at 33hz which is above low B fundamental (but in real life will probably be fine.)

Definitely on my watch list.
  9. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I'm thinking of getting a current PLX. Maybe I should hold out for the PLX 2.....?
  10. lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    What is the PLX2? I don't see any reference on QSC's site?
  11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The Northern Sound link has some specs and pictures, and there's been tons of discussion from dealers on the Live Audio Board at prosoundweb.com. The smaller models aren't bridgeable and don't do 2 ohms in stereo, but are shallower and only weigh 13 pounds. 900 watts a side into 4 ohms is pretty sweet if the stereo configuration or dual mono works for you.

The others are the same size (?) and weight as the current ones, and do bridge and go to 2 ohms in stereo, but have some different features (different, more robust switches, different filter configuration, more streamlined front mounting dimensions for starters I think) and slightly higher power ratings.

Corrections welcome, this is off the top of my head and I have to run off to rehearsal right now.
  12. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    At only 13 lbs and 9" deep behind the rack ears, that new PLX 1804 looks like a great power amp for a rack rig! It won't replace the PLX 2402 in my main rack, but it might replace the RMX 1850HD in my backup rack for a weight savings on the order of 30 lbs!

I could see the 1804 being a really popular amp for PA applications too.

Looks like QSC has another winner on their hands.