Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC PLX1202 enough for an ampeg 8x10???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaracasBass, Sep 24, 2004.

1. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Here is the deal:

I need to upgrade my amp stack, and I was thinking about an Ampeg SVP-BSP + QSC PLX 1202 poweramp + Ampeg SVT-810E "fridge" cab.
    So has the PLX1202 enough power to run a 810 cab with enough headroom???

Thanx.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You must be kidding. Of course it's enough!

An SVT head only puts out 300 watts and was designed to drive TWO of those suckers.

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Thanx a lot guys.

Yes, but those are 300 TUBE watts...that are like 3 times more than 300 solid-state Watts. ( This is what I´ve learn talking with a guitar tech -and vintage all-tube amps geek- in my city).

4. nope, your still wrong!

the regular svt heads are 350 watts of solid state power!

sorry buddy

the qsc will be plent you will be set

5. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Tube watts are the same as SS watts. A 300w SS amp and a 300w valve amp are both putting out 300w it doesn't matter how the amp is doing it. Tubes do cause a unique distortion that makes them seem louder but in fact they're not.

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Ok, I know 1 Watt is the same here in Caracas than it is in China or in Russia, so how do you explain that a 300W SS amp sound "smaller" than a 300W Tube amp?

Is it a matter of efficience, I mean, tubes are mor efficient transforming energy than SS circuits?

7. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Tubes put out the same amount of noise. They seem louder and fuller because the why in which they distort produces harmonics that the human ear preceives to be louder.

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Tube amps have a more harmonic distortion and sound more pleasing to the ear as they start to break up. SS amps OTOH, sound like crap when they break up and they do it less gradually than tube. ;)

9. That 8x10 cab is sealed so that'll definitely add to your sound. If you bridge that sucker @ 4 ohms you'll be running 1200 watts which is plenty to power the 8x10. The SVT810E weighs in @165lbs so eat your Wheaties or hire a roadie. That's why I'm using a 2x12 now.

10. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I couldn't imagine lugging around an 8x10. I have a 4x10 that's 75lbs and 23x23x17 and I can barly get that around. I'm looking at smaller cabs. I've tried a Mesa 1x15 and loved it. Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can try an Aguilar 1x12.

11. My Avatar B212 only weighs 75lbs (1200 watts @ 4 ohms) and it's much easier to handle at the end of the night than the Mesa 4x10 I was using and the 115 lb Ampeg 610hlf I own. If I could afford a roadie or 2 I'd certainly get an 8x10.