QSC PLX1602: to bridge or not to bridge?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JOME77, Sep 19, 2005.

1. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I'm finally adding the last piece to my main amp rig. I've got a QSC PLX1602 arriving tomorrow. I'll be using the QSC with a Demeter 201s & an Accugroove El Whappo Jr. cabinet. Do most of you guys that have comparable rigs run the QSC in the bridged mode or just use one channel? On most amps I've found that the bridged mode sounds better due to the extra headroom (even if you're not playing extremely loud). On the El Whappo Jr. I've got the option of configuring the cabinet at 4 or 8 ohms so I'm wondering if it might be easier on the amp (long term) to set the cabinet at 4 ohms and power it using just one channel of the amp (500 @ 4 ohms). Let me know what you think.
  2. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    or set it to 8 ohms and bridge it. :)
  3. +1.... why would you think that running just one channel at 4ohms would be better than bridging the full power of the amp into 8? Just curious.
  4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I never said it would be better......but I am a little cautious about running 1100 watts bridged into a 800 watt cabinet. Granted as long as I don't push the amp hard it should be safe but why risk it if it's not required? Also, most problems that I've read about concerning power amps seem to be related to heat problems while running in the bridged mode.
    Most gigs that I play don't require high volumes and I really only planned on running the amp bridged for outdoor gigs where I'd use additional cabinets. Outdoor gigs are the primary reason I put this rig together. Most of the outdoor gigs that we play don't have adequate sound system support for a clean loud bass sound through the mains. I'll probably primarily continue to use my Thunderfunk or Mesa Walkabout heads for the indoor gigs (church gigs).
  5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA

The amp will be supplying all the power you need effortlessly.

6. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    maybe you should consider getting a 1212 down the track... 1000 watts.
  7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I run my qsc/plx 1602 bridged into a 4 ohm Schroeder 410. It *kills.* Don't woory about heat, it has a fan. I'm sure Bob Lee from QSC will see this and chime in. When I was shopping for power amps for my Eden Navigator, he's the one who told me it was fine to run bridged at 4 ohms. He works there, and ought to know. Nice guy, great to talk to. The amp was built to do this, and has been doing it for 2+ years for me with no problems.

Eden Navigator + qsc/plx1602 + Schroeder 410 = no more problems being heard, ever.

I tried going back to 800 watts per side instead of 1600 bridged, and ran my 410 off one side, and my 1210 off the other...holy cow, I hope I never need to be that loud!
  8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    It sounds like the concensous is BRIDGED! The last two power amps that I've owned were Stewart's (PA1000 and 1.6) and I guess I read too many post concerning overheating in the bridged mode. Maybe I'm being over cautious. One of the primary reasons that I went with the QSC over the Stewart this time is that TB owners of the QSC PLX amps reported vertually no problems with their amps in the threads verses several Stewart amp owners that reported frequent heat related problems. I was always very cautious to run the amp in the bridged mode. Plus, I got burned a few times on the Stewart when the house power shut off momentarily and the band went without bass for a long 25-30 seconds before the amp reset. Seemed like an eternity!
  9. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I played out with the QSC for the first time tonight and all I can say is WOW!
    I ran the amp in the bridged mode (as everyone recommended) and ran it through my SWR Goliath III 8 ohm cabinet I keep at church. It had an incredibly tight sound and you could definitely tell the difference that the extra headroom made (1100 watts @ 8 ohms). I think the SWR cabinet has a rating of 500 watts RMS so I definitely need to be careful not to crank the QSC too much but based on what Bob Lee (QSC) and others have said in related TB threads it should be safe as long as I control my volume and watch for clipping. I can't wait to hear the El Whappo Jr. out at a gig with the QSC/Demeter. Based on how it sounds with the QSC at home it should definitely rock! :bassist: