Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC PLX1620 vs Carvin DCM1500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Weenie Boy, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Weenie Boy

Weenie Boy

Sep 22, 2004
    USA
    Is the QSC worth the extra $$$ ? Both are light weight, the QSC is 5 lbs lighter, but the Carvin fits in a shallower rack so weight/portability is a wash between the two. Warranty work-as where the unit needs to be serviced-is a non-issue for me so thats a wash as well. Spec's are approximatley the same - wash. The QSC has low cut filters @ 30 hz? - this amp would be used with four string basses, and I'm not usre if this matters.

I guess this only leaves the sound between the two. Is there anything I'm missing? Is the QSC worth $150.00 more? :confused:

2. DanBuck

DanBuck

May 29, 2005
    North Haven, CT.
    Well, Im using a DCM1000 witha GKsbx410 cab with 4 stringers for a year and a half and its a great amp. Quiet, lots of power, reliable and made in the USA.

3. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Yes. QSC PLX hands down.

4. Weenie Boy

Weenie Boy

Sep 22, 2004
    USA
    Why? How?

5. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Had a Carvin- output seems overrated, heavier than the PLX, Carvin was heavier on the one side, more bells and whistles on the PLX.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

You might want to look at resale value as a measure of overall quality?

I've used lots of DCMs for PA. Make sure you keep the heat sinks clean, as every one I've been around has thermalled out sooner or later if dirt is allowed to accumulate. All their hype on the website about switching amp comparisons doesn't wash for me, but that's a can o' worms I'd rather sidestep actually.

I've owned both a 1602 and a 2402, and still have the 2402. I strongly prefer the 2402 for bass. It uses a different topology than the 1602, but the extra power could well be what I'm preferring. I run a stereo rig though, so YMMV.

7. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I owned a DCM1500 and I own a PLX 3002. The DCMs are really good, at least to me. It was cheap, light (23lbs) and powerful. Good features and reaiability. I bought the PLX cause I needed more power. The PLX does have more features, but it only accepts Speakon cables, so keep that in mind; even though you can get a Speakon to 1/4" cable if needed.

IMO the PLX sounds a little sterile compared to the DCM I owned. I'm not saying its a bad amp or anything, in fact it's great and I still have it. But in my experience, the DCM sounded better to me, more punchy. The PLX is a great, relaible, lightweight, full of features great power amp that almost everyone seems to love.

So I really say you should buy buy the one that you can get the best pricing on. Carvins are very cheap in the US but for QSC look on Ebay, I bought my PLX3002 new for substancially less than most stores.

I hope this helped.

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The carvin is VERY comparable to the QSC RMX series, so keep those in mind as well. The main thing is how much you want to pay and how much you want to carry. If you and your bandmates are OK with hauling a lead sled, then go with the conventional amp. If you have to climb 3 flights of stairs to get to the gig and you have to carry it by yourself, you're going to appreciate the PLX.

9. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH

The Low cut filters (30 and 50 Hz) are defeatable. You don't have to have them on at all if you don't want. They do help a lot though with extra power being sucked up by unused frequencies. I have the PLX 3002 and like it a lot....it's lightweight and very powerful.

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Are you sure about that? I think you need to look again.

11. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Mine has only Speakond and the othe red and black type as speaker otputs. The 1/4" are inputs for the preamp.

At least that's what I know and how I use it.

12. e.maynard

e.maynard

Nov 11, 2004
    Afton, Virginia
    Carvin (in my experience) has very poor pro level customer support. I have owned one of their Bass amplifiers, (died within a month) and one of their headphone amplifiers died within 6 months. I both cases.........big headache getting a swift repair. Happily sold both after each experience.

In contrast, I have owned a QSC PLX-1202 (being used with a variety of bass pre's) for 3 years, and it has preformed flawlessly. Punchy and beautiful sounding, verymuch unlike the the cardboard like Peavey-esque constricted low end of a Carvin.

My 2 cents

Buy a QSC.