Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC PLX2402 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by caesarbass, Mar 17, 2005.

1. I just got my PLX 2402!!!!!! There seem to be a lot of dip switches in the back. I want to run the QSC bridged into an 8ohm Avatar 212. I know the dip switches that have to be turned on to bridge the power amp, but what about all of the filter dip switches? Should I leave them off? Maybe Bob from QSC can give me some tips. Also, I'm still undecided on a preamp. I'm going to be trying several, Fender TBP-1, Demeter VTB, BBE BMAX, Tech 21, etc... By the way, I'm selling an Eden WT-800, it's in the for sale forum.

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It's really simple. You should have the clip limiter on. Then you have a choice of rolling off the low end at 50 Hz or 30 Hz, or not at all. This is for loudspeaker protection, and the manual describes what it does. Don't fear the reader. ;)

3. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really do like to read, but you know how us impatient bass players are. Really, thanks for the prompt reply. For the cleanest signal, should I leave the low end rolloff off?

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Not necessarily. Keep in mind that the maximum safe amount of power your loudspeakers can take drops at very low frequencies because of increased driver excursion, so using the low frequency filter might help you get the most out of the cabinet with less risk of bottoming out the drivers. I would contact Avatar and tell them that you have a power amp rated at 1400 watts with available roll-off at 30 or 50 Hz, and ask for their recommendation.

5. Thanks again. I'll post a review after I find a preamp and have used it a few times.

6. What Bob said. Just rememder if you use a Speakon cable in bridge mode you'll need to buy or make a bridged speaker cable. When you do, mark the amp end and the speaker end so you can tell them apart. If you hook them up backwards no sound will come out of your speaker. I run a Sansamp RBI
    with my PLX2402 into a Schroeder 21012 and it sounds great.

7. I think I'm going to go banana to 1/4". I was reading up on the amp it looked like I "had" to use a banana for bridged mode. Good tip though, thanks.

8. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Nope, we have a bridged out speakon connection on the back of our amps.

Also 30hz roll off for 5 string and 50hz roll off for 4 string.

Enjoy!

:D

Joe.

9. BassDemon

BassDemon

May 18, 2004
    Using an SWR goliath III I find the sound much clearer with the 50hz filter.

At 30hz I get too much low end at the 10's can't handle it.

Running a Big Ben on the other channel with the 30hz filter makes up for it though :)

10. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    Wouldn't 50hz cut off the lowest 3 notes on a 4 string? Low E is about 40hz.

Myron

11. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    These are the settings that have given me really fantastic results. Try them out and see if you like them. Cabs and personal taste would influence your decision but these settings work for me and many, many others with the same amp.

:D

Joe.