QSC Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McHack, Mar 18, 2004.

1. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've been sitting here mulling over my upgrade options, ad nauseaum,,, as most of us probably do. Hello, my name is McHack & I'm a GAS-oholic.

Anyway, I love my bass... but, i'm merely tolerant of my amp situation... I've got an Ampeg BA115SP. It does ok, but I really don't care for the speaker setup,, 1x15... It's preamp,, combined w/ the preamp on my 55-01,,, that's generally enough that I can usually get the tones I want. Plus, the preamp section on this combo,, has an interesting multi-function effects module... Very Fun!

However, I've been secretly yearning for QSC RMS850, & maybe a Sansamp rack jobber or maybe a BBE,,, & an Avatar 2x12 to replace it.

Well, I was just poking around on the QSC site, looking at spec PDF's, & found that they have Speakon out jacks,, AND XLR INPUT jacks... Lo & Behold, my BA115SP has an XLR OUT jack....

Call me crazy, but this seems like its almost a no brainer, at this point,,, to just go ahead & get the cab,, & the 850,,, & just use my BA115SP as a preamp,,, at least for a while...

As y'all are reading this, does this make sense,, at least for a guy who mostly just punks around in his basement,, have I gone half cuckoo, or does this sound doable?

The only reason I'm balking at just buying a pre is,, I'm not doing any gigs,,, let alone making money. But, as my kids get older,, it sure would be nice to be setup to do so...
  2. The XLR on your Ampeg is probably the D.I. for a PA system or a recording console. Plugging into it won't disable your power section or the sound going to your speakers. Many combo amps have a disable switch (not sure if yours does). Using the D.I. is fine for sending a clean signal to a power amp, but you could also use an effects send, headphone jack, preamp out, slave out, or other such animal.

But, if you're just plunking around in your basement, going with a pre/power/cabinet setup might be considered overkill...especially a QSC 850 jobber.
  3. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Actually, the 850 is thier lowend unit. It only does 200w @ 8ohms per channel. I saw 'em @ MF for $299. Since i'm trying to transition away from my combo, this seems like a methodical way to do so,, w/o throwing a bunch of cash out,, right away.

You're probably right about the functionality of the DI out, MoPhat... It probably would be smarter to use the headphone jack...
  4. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Should be no problem using the Ampeg pre with the QSC. Before I got the BBE I was using the pre on my SM400s into the PLX.