Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC poweramp users: RMX or PLX?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Schwinn, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Can anyone compare the QSC RMX series with the PLX series? I know I can't go wrong with either one, but...is the PLX worth the extra money?

I will probably pair the QSC with a Sansamp RBI pre-amp and, eventually, I plan to use Avatar cabs. Thanks guys!

2. I am loving my new PLX 3002. Damn, great amp. Cheap on EBay....?

3. DBasica

DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    I've had my QSC PLX 2402 for a few years and used it with different preamps and cabs. It sounds great with all of them. Many other bass players report similar results. Great piece of gear IMHO.

I'm not sure, but I believe the PLX series are lighter (only 21 pounds) than the RMX. New prices are reasonable, and you can find them even cheaper used. If you go the eBay route, I suggest you find your best new price first - some of the pricing I've seen on eBay is more than you can get it new from a reputable dealer.

Hard to go wrong with a PLX.

Dan

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I chose my PLX2402 because it's light and powerful. It replaced the 40+ Crown CE1000 in my rack (and gave me another space for a compressor).

5. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Definitely call Life Effects if your shopping for a QSC. Mark at Life Effects talked to me for almost a half an hour answering all my remedial questions.

6. I have an RMX2450. It's more than twice the weight of a PLX but it's also a fair bit less expensive. Both PLX and RMX series are killer amps.

7. dancinDave

dancinDave Guest

Apr 15, 2001
    Rochester, NY. USA
    you can NOT go wrong with a PLX. I've had the 2402 for over a year now, no problems whatsoever and plenty of power. I'd never need any more power, not even in concert and I've never even turned it all the way up. I've used Crown(several models), Peavey, ADA, Sound Tech and my QSC is the keeper of them all. 21 pounds of thunder!
    <smiles> dD

8. I've owned both. Quality is great on both.

The difference is weight.

A big difference.

9. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Either amp is fine. I use a PLX 1602 and have been very pleased with it. The RMX series is perhaps one of the best "bang for buck" amps out there. Other candidates include the new Peavey PV2600/Crest CPX2600 and Yamaha CP2000.

Kim

10. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I just switched from an RMX 1850HD to a PLX 2402. Either one will more than do the job, and the RMX is a bargain, as Kim said. But the PLX is half the weight, and I think it sounds better (this could be my imagination).

The only negative I've noticed with the PLX so far is that the cardboard cooling duct tends to rattle when the amp is directly on top of my speaker cabinets. A little foam rubber between the rack and the cabs solved the problem for me.

Check Lord Valve's prices on both the RMX and PLX series - I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm not a shill, just a happy customer.

11. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I will call Lord Valve soon to check prices. So far, I've been hanging out on ebay trying to score a deal on one.

Based on what I've seen, I'm going for either the RMX 1850 or the PLX 1602. I think either one will give me enough headroom for my current band situation.

It looks like the only substantial difference is the weight...

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The PLX amps have lower noise and a bit lower distortion. The PLX's more sophisticated clip limiter circuitry is a little quicker-acting and smoother sounding. The difference in noise can be audible, while the difference in distortion almost certainly isn't. The sonic difference in clip limiting might be apparent if you clip the amp hard, but I hope you're more sensible than that! But even so, you're not likely to hear a noticeable difference between them in live situations.

13. Bob,

Is there any difference in their ability to deal with lower impedance and unstable load conditions?

14. What's the difference?

Watt - for - watt, about 20 pounds and 300$.

Also, I know the RMX is made in China, and I believe the PLX is US-made.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against equipment assembled overseas. Some consumers just prefer to support USA labor, even though it may cost more.

Sonically, I'd bet they're identical.

B

15. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    2-ohm performance
    If I could rate the amps on a scale of 0 to 10 on how they handle 2-ohm loads when driven very hard, these would be my very rough estimates:

PLX 1202 10
    PLX 1602 8
    PLX 2402 8
    PLX 3002 7
    PLX 3402 5

RMX 850 7
    RMX 1450 7
    RMX 1850HD 9
    RMX 2450 6
    RMX 4050HD 9

The PLX 1202 gets a 10 because it's almost impossible to make it thermal.

Unstable load conditions
    I'm thinking you mean short circuits and other loads that would tend to damage an amp if it didn't have protection circuitry, right?

The PLX protection circuitry is a little more comprehensive and totally self-resetting (unless you blow the main fuse) than the RMX.

17. The RMX 1850 looks like just about the perfect cost/power for a bass rig...jmho:D

18. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I used to agree - then I got tired of lugging it to gigs and rehearsals. That's why my gig rig now has a PLX 2402 and the RMX 1850HD has been downgraded to my home practice rig. ;)

Believe me, there is nothing wrong with the RMX's performance or price. But I'm a bass player, not a weight lifter!

19. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    Thanks Bob.

20. I've been useing an RMX 850 for a few months now and I find it clips easily when I use it with my Ampeg BSE410HLF cab. Then again my band plays pretty loud live and my onstage sound seems quiet sometimes even though the room sound might be just right.

I like the lighter PLX idea! If I only had the $$$$