QSC RMX 1450 too much power for Acme B-2?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PaulYeah, Feb 14, 2006.

1. PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    My current rig is an Acme B-4 with a BBE Bmax, dbx 166 compressor, Furman conditioner, Boss effects unit and a QSC RMX 1450 in a 6-space rack. Recently I've thought about getting combo amp for smaller gigs, but I realized I could just pick up an Acme B-2 and use it with my current power amp. My question is this: is it safe to use RMX 1450 with a B-2 as long as I keep it turned down? Is there a way to absolutely guarantee I won't blow the cab?

2. I don't know about a way to guarantee that you don't hurt your cab, but this should work just fine as long as you remember not to turn up all the way and pay attention to how your cab sounds. If it's making any ugly noises be sure to turn down. I really doubt you will have any problems with this, though.
  3. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I don't think any amount of power is too much for the B2 :) those cabs soak up tons of power.
  4. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    I'll second what Vis said, Acmes thrive on head room, You'll be surprised how far up you can crank it I thinks. It will be obvious if you are pushing it too hard, also. There should be an instant noticeable fluttering sound when that cone gets overdriven. Back it off a notch or 2 and let it fly with confidence!
  5. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I've been playing rehearsals with one Low B-2 powered by an RMX 1850HD, bridged into the 4 ohm cab (!), so it's capable of delivering the full rated 1800 W to the Acme.

I have seen the clip lights flash on the amp on hard transients, but I haven't heard the cab complain yet! Obviously I wouldn't recommend a steady diet of clipping at these power levels. As long as you keep the average level sane and don't go nuts with the compressor, you should be able to get away with it.

It is possible to pop the drivers in these cabs - just ask Andy Lewis. I've heard Andy will cut a reasonable deal on replacement drivers. I don't plan to test that out for a while though.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  7. +2...There are currently 104 Nuclear Power Stations operating in the US and any one of them could power an Acme cab! LOL! :D Sorry, I couldn't resist...

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Should be fine. One of the great things about Acmes is that they are so clean sounding that you instantly hear when they (or something else in the chain) is being overdriven. If you hear that, reduce your lows or turn the overall volume down. The only risk is if you're in such a loud situation that you can't hear the cab complaining!

I put 900W into mine and frequently bounce off the limiters during our loudest moments and it sounds great. Curious to see what bridging could do - 3000W!!! - but I suspect power compression will take such a toll that the risk/benefit balance will have gone the wrong way by then.

9. Be careful to slowly break the speaker in, and not start with that kind of volume. It will destroy them. Once the cones are loosened, they'll survive your amp happily.