QSC RMX 1450 vs Carvin DCM 1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    The QSC boasts 1400 watts bridged @ 4 ohms.

The Carvin boasts 1000 watts bridged @ 4 ohms.

The QSC is $30 more.

Other than these facts I know very little about the QSC. I know that the Carvin DCM 1000 that I have in my PA has worked very well and provided very clean amplification for us for the last year.

How is the QSC's reliability? How clear is the sound? I am leaning towards it since it has more wattage for just $30 more, but I would love to hear opinions on it, and compared against the Carvin, if possible.

Thanks!! :)
  2. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The Carvin DCMs have trouble with some 4 ohm loads in bridge mode. The RMX just works. The RMX has a 3 year transferable warranty; the DCM 1 year, non-transferable. There are QSC authorized warranty repair stations everywhere; Carvin gear has to be shipped back to San Diego.

Call Lord Valve for a damned good price on the RMX. I think you'll find the RMX is cheaper than the Carvin, especially since you'll have to pay CA sales tax on the Carvin!

I don't have a beef with Carvin (I own a lot of their basses and guitars), but IMHO the RMX is the better amp any way you look at it.
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The Carvin DOES have a 3 Year Warranty.
    And I have tested the Carvins at 2.67 Ohm in bridged mode, and they work work and work

Does the RMX have a toroidal? or a Switching power supply?
    What about the capacitors?
    Those things are something to consider, because the carvin has a large power reservoir that helps the bass to have better definition.
  4. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    Whoops, you're right. But it's not transferable - QSC's is.

That's well beyond the spec. You're braver than I am!

Some folks on this board have tried to bridge a DCM 1000 (or the Redline 1000, same power amp section) into a 4 ohm Acme Low B-4 with unpleasant results. No one seems to know why it doesn't work, least of all Carvin. If you don't use Acmes, this might not matter to you.

The RMX has a toroidal power transformer - a big one, too. That's why they weigh so much. The PLX has the switching supplies.

Spend a lot of time with the Carvin catalog, Luis? ;)

I guarantee you the RMX power supply is plenty adequate. Pro sound guys use these amps on their subwoofers, and they do just fine. And my RMX kicks out the low B through my Acmes all day.

Like I said, I don't mean to put down the Carvin, but IMHO the RMX series gives you more power at lower distortion, and a better warranty, for a lower price.

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    I've not had trouble with the Carvin and two 4 ohm Acme Low-B2's. At 300 watts @ 4 ohms it's minimum requirment for the Acme's. Just seems to reach a wall and not go any louder per say. Really dug it threw an Ampeg SVT410HLF. The Ampeg being much less of a power pig. However the Carvin didn't take a 2 ohm load (Acme's both on one channel), cut off on me third set, which was heroic all the same. I am waiting on a QSC PLX (700 @ 4 ohms) shipped today from Lord Valve, and will report back in. Expecting big things though. I plan on keeping the Carvin and using it for PA where it does a fine job.
  6. OK let's compare
    QSC bridged into 4 ohms 1400
    Carvin bridged into 4 ohms 1000
    (QSC 400 watts more or 1 db difference in volume)
    QSC 35 lbs
    Carvin 23 lbs
    (Carvin 12 lbs lighter)
    The Carvin has a seperate Speakon for Bridged, (QSC doesn't)
    Carvin has a switchable limiter (Not sure about QSC but if it does it isn't as easy to use as the Carvin) Both have speakon and 1/4 speaker out and XLR and 1/4 input. Both are 2 rack space. The Carvin has a more deluxe look and feel with bigger knobs and switches. It has a more top of the line look and feel. The RMX looks like and is bottom of the line. This is my opinion as I have both of these products. I like working with the Carvin better because of its weight, look, and feel. I haven't been able to compare the performance because they are on 2 different applications and both are doing just fine.
  7. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    On the QSC, you get the bridged output from the Channel 1 Speakon.

Yep, the QSC has one as well. I'll admit the QSC's DIP switch (controls the limiter, low-cut filter, and bridge/parallel modes) is a little harder to use than Carvin's pushbuttons. OTOH, how often do you change the configuration of your power amp?

Not quite; the QSC has 5-way binding posts/banana jacks instead of a 1/4" output. 1/4" plugs were never meant to handle thousands of watts! (Neither were banana plugs, for that matter.)
  8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Actually Im the Carvin distributor locally (Ecuador -South America)

My policy is not to sell anything I wouldnt use myself.
    I have a R1000 head (wich is a DCM1000 with a bass pre)
    The fact that the Carvin is heavier could be to the fact that the chassis is more solid, the toroidal is bigger and the heatsink is too.
    Why? Because in the Carvin... there is nothing else inside that can have considerable weight.

I have sold many Carvin´s DCM150 -> DCM2000 (no DCM4000 yet..) and none of my customers have had any problems.
    I haven heard any problems from the QSC´s either, but the sound of the carvins is really transparent and punchy.
    IT DOES have a higher THD at peak (not much) than most amps, thats why many people think that the power of the Carvin´s is overrated.
  9. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    If you ever have a chance please A/B them.