QSC RMX 1850HD Without Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cacklingjackyl, Mar 18, 2004.

1. I will probably buy one of these soon. However, I do not have the money for a preamp at this time. For those that have used QSC amps in the past, do you feel it is necessary to use a preamp?

I am new at this stuff so if this is a stupid question, I'm sorry.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Necessary? Yes, it is.

3. Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    For a temporary preamp, you could use a mini-mixer such as the UB502.

Can you beat it for $40? If it craps out in 6 months, you'll have had time to save for your RBI or BMax. If you look around, you might pick up a BMax in the $225 range. Check out NorthernSound.
  4. If your guitar has active electronics and enough gain then you might be able to sneek by without one for a while. There are a few pieces of audio gear that you might have laying around that will serve until you get a proper pre-amp. 1) a graphic eq will work just fine. Not only will it add the gain you might need but also the eq. 2) bottom of the line mixer. You only need 1 channel with bass and treble. Any entry level mixer can more than accomodate those needs. Used Sansamp Bass Driver DI. Lots of guys use them as their pre-amp. jmo
  5. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Yeah the BMax sounds awesome on the 1850HD
  6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    all you need is an inexpensive mic preamp. The Art TubeMP, or one of the other mic pre's like it, is good and cheap and will get it done.
  7. Thanks for the ideas. It's appreciated.
  8. The best answer is yes, you need a preamp. However, bass -> 1850HD -> cab will produce sound (this may or may not be obvious to you, so I figured I'd mention it) if you have no other choice; it just won't be nearly as loud or sound as good as with a preamp. I did it once before for reasons I can't remember; it was sufficient for practicing alone. No idea whether it would be sufficient for a band practice, but I wouldn't recommend it for gigging.

A SansAmp BDDI would be a step up from running totally dry, but I believe it still doesn't have enough gain to adequately serve as a permanent preamp...that's what the RBI is for.
  9. I was aware that I could play thru the QSC and get sound, but I now know that you need a preamp if you what to be able to find a decent tone. I am now in the market for a reasonably priced preamp. I am sure I will go used.

10. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I would look for BBE BMax, SansAmp RBI, or Trace Elliot V-Type all can be had used for around $200 or less
  11. E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    There is a mod you can do (I have done it) to the BDDI to give it more gain. It involves removing a capacitor, and I can clip a QSC USA 850 with the BDDI's level halfway up.
  12. You "can" get a good tone going from bass to power amp with the right bass. I've done this with my gear (see sig) plenty of times at band practice and it sounded good. The only issue was gig volume.
  13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Northern Sound: these guys are kewl!
    I just ordered a bmax/qsc plx 1602 two days ago, and was out the door for $700 to my door. (Is it ok to say that?)
    Unbelieveable. The plx series are much lighter than the rmx series.
  14. Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    I believe the new BDDI's have a switch on their face that will allow you to get the proper gain without having to resort to removing any capacitors.