QSC RMX 850 or 1450???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumpin4, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    I am currently rebuilding my rig. I have a 8X10 cab that will handle 800 watts. Should I get get the 850 bridged @ 4 ohms to get 830 watts or go with the 1450 for the extra headroom???
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm happy with my 1450 bridged into an 8ohm cab

3. Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    The 8X10 cab is 4 ohms and I believe the 1450 bridged @ 4 ohms will give me 1400 watts. I just want to make sure that I don't damage my speakers from driving them to hard.
  4. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    bob lee would be the best person to answer that - super cool dude!
  5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hi Th,

800+ watts is already a lot of power as bass amps go, but as you already said, the RMX 1450 will give you more headroom.

It's always better to have more power than you need than not enough, but you have to decide yourself if the RMX 850 is enough, or should you spring some extra money for more power. If the additional $100 or whatever you would pay isn't too hard to swing and won't keep food off your table or a new set of strings off your bass, you might consider the 1450.

If you're not gigging a lot yet or money is tight, think about sticking with the RMX 850 and don't sweat it; there's no shame in being smart with your money, and what you know you need is more important than what you think you might need. You can always step up later when you get things going better.

How much power do you need? There's no hard and fast rule, but if you can get the sound levels you want without clipping the amp, you don't need more. ;)
  6. Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    Thanks a lot for the useful info........:cool:
  7. Like Bob said, if the $100 difference is not an issue then get the 1450. I run a 400 watt cab with a 700 watt PLX 1202 and I haven't damaged the speakers yet. I've alway found that speaker damage and beer drinking go hand and hand....:D
  8. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Agreed. Bob's a wise man. While I don't own a QSC, I have an EBS 2x12 (rated at 400 watts) I power with a Carvin 600 watt power amp and it's all I'll ever need for the venues I play. No clipping, no foul tone and hearing myself is never an issue.
  9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I'm a great believer in having lots more amplifier power than the cab needs, however since there are so many bassists out there that have underpowered amps and are used to cranking them to the max, I get somewhat scared when we have to share rigs (not that I want to use their nasty little 15" combo).

What I'd like is a limiter that's hidden round the back of the amp so I can stop these less controlled players cranking things right up and frying my speakers - does anyone else feel like this?

10. I'm running my Ampeg 8x10 with a QSC RMX2450 bridged into 4 ohms. It works like a charm, no damage.
  11. Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    Thanks again for all the info, I'm probably gonna go with the 1450.........:bassist:
  12. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX

I have spent thousands of dollars on MY bass rig. I am the only person who plays on my rig. If I am at an open jam or something to that effect and want to leave my rig setup, I put the front cover on my rack. I will let my good friends, who I trust, use my rig. But that is only if its MY gig and they are just sitting in on a song or two.

IMO, if you are in a band you should not half to borrow someone elses equipment at a show. Get out there and buy your own stuff. YOU have spent good money on your rig. DO NOT let someone else play through your rig that you think is going to f**k it up. If they dont have the bread to buy an amp, do you think that if they fry yours they are going to have the bread to fix your amp?