Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC RMX 850 sluggish below 250Hz? Look inside...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeyvr6, Oct 3, 2003.

1. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Here's the deal--I'm in the market for a decent low cost power amp to complete my SVP-Pro pre and Ampeg SVR-212 rig. The usual suspects here: QSC RMX 850 and Crown XLS 402. Through searching the TB archives, Usenet, and various pro audio forums I decided to go with the QSC as it seems to fit my price/feature/performance needs--and no the weight doesn't bother me! So, I shoot an email to a local store that has both of these to check on their stock. Turns out they are currently out of the RMX 850, but here's an excerpt of the response I got from the store:

"I do have the Crown XLS 402 in stock, it is 260 watts @ 8 ohms and its a CROWN. What are you driving cabinet wise? Its been my experience with the 850's, they are great for mid-highs and horns but a bit sluggish (easy clip) below 250hz."

This response is exactly opposite from pretty much everything that I've read anywhere on the web. Anyone care to offer their opinion on this statement? I'm thinking it's more than likely a salesman looking for a little extra comission...

--Mike

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I think I'd believe what you have researched on the net, and not someone trying to sell you another amp.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    oh and if you want it, you'll have to hurry, I've got another buyer comming in half an hour and it's my last one. Hey, the colour matches your bass, looks great, bs bs bs bs bs..........

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, I haven't heard anything of it being sluggish for lows. It seems like the salesman is trying to make a quick sale. :meh:

Btw, where are you located in Wisconsin? :)

5. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    I'm about an hour north of Milwaukee. How bout you?

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    That's it right there. They wanted to make a sale, and they didn't have any, so they bad mouth it and try to sell you the other model which they had in stock. You shouldn't be suprised.

Besides, the Crown was probably only used by a little old lady at church on Sundays . . .

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    South-eastern Washington county. Nice to see fellow WI bassists here. :)

8. Well they are probably easy to clip when they are turned to 11.

Just lay off on the volume, cut the bass a bit, boost the mids, and play at a reasonable volume.