Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC RMX 850

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DubDubs, Sep 26, 2004.

1. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Ok I a couple of weeks ago I got a sweet new rig. Aguilar DB 659, QSC RMX 850. My question is about the 850. When I play at home eveything works great nothing strange everything behaves normally. When I take it over to my drummers house for practices a strange thing happens. After a while the second sig. led stays on and wont go off. Even when I tun the bass volume down and mute all the stings. I have it set up for bridge mono so both leds light up when I play but the channel 2 stays on and won't go off untill I turn the amp off. It doesn't do this at my house. What could be causing this?

2. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    when you run it in bridge mode you are only supposed to use the volume knob on the first channel and leave the channel 2 knob at 0. maybe it would do that if you had that volume up? just a thought.

3. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Nope, it's not that. I know I had the volume down on channel 2. Also even if it was up I wouldn't think it would work. I think it has to do with the way eveything is setup. The speakers are basically aiming straight into the drummers bed. I might have to try moving it around a little next practice. Anyway I'm home now and everything works perfectly. Nothing strange.

4. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Not a QSC owner, but my amp will "futz" and "spit" when it's plugged into an outlet that is providing un-grounded, "dirty" or not enough electricity.

Maybe something for you to check into as well! :meh:

5. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    maybe you could try getting a furman (or other brand) power conditioner if you find no other problem. the conditioners will...condition your power and get rid of the dirtyness of the outlet.

6. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    damn drummers' houses...my amp always acts funny over there. sounds like theres a high pitched repeating clicking noise doing about 300bpm.

and yesterday, whenever the keybaord played i got really weird static-like sounds out of my amp when the volume on my bass was up.

7. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    on bridged mode channel 2 knob is going to be on max, all way up. Don't know about qsc rmx particular, but mine is act like I descibed

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've noticed that my Eden pre "acts up" when the power is low coming out of the outlet. It sounds dirtier, not as punchy and clear. I use a Furman unit that tells me whether the outlet is running at 120 or something under that so I can search for another source of power at gigs. Worth its weight in gold to me, an essential tool.

9. Luigi

Luigi

Dec 3, 2003
    NorCal
    Actually, according to the manual and as someone said before, channel 2 gain should be all the way down. Have you checked your settings in the back for bridge mode?

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

BobLee is a QSC rep and I'm suprised he hasn't responded to this. I'd do a search and email him - he was prompt when I did. That is if the problem's still unresolved.

11. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I get that too but that's a different. Thing, I am using a power conditioner but am not sure what else is on the circut. It's just strange the channel 2 led does strange stuff at my drummers house.

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    In bridged mono with the RMX 850:
    • Turn channel 2 all the way down
    • Set switches 4 and 5 to "stereo," and 6 and 7 to "bridge mono on."
    • Turn off the filter (switch 8) and clip limiter (switch 10) on channel 2.
    • Use channel 1's input and gain control.
    • Use either the two red output terminals or 1+ and 2+ on the upper Speakon output.

Make sure the AC outlet you plug into is grounded well. If it's not, that could be the cause of the noise.