1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

QSC RMX 850

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman69, Apr 10, 2006.

1. bassman69

bassman69

Mar 13, 2005
    Youngstown, OH
    Anybody have any problems with running an rmx 850 birdged at 4ohms, I want to run it with a ampeg 610 cab and an svp-pro, i figure this should give me plenty of headroom and i don't waste a channel on a stereo amp.

thanks

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    You shouldn't have any problems. I did this for 4 years with the same amp. The only reason I stopped is that we use the amp to power our monitors

3. bassman69

bassman69

Mar 13, 2005
    Youngstown, OH
    One more question concerning the 850, I am using an ameg 610 cab, would i set the filter on the power amp to 30hz or 50hz, the cab's usable low frequency is 42hz

4. CDT

CDT

May 29, 2005
    triad, nc
    get ready to re-wire some speakon connectors to run it bridged, unless you like bare wire or bananna connectors. I'd use speakon if you have any intentions of gigging.

plus, I tried running one bridged and in stereo into a 4ohm trace elliot 410 and the amp shut off every 10 minutes. It's on it's way back to MF as we speak.

YMMV

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I ran mine with a banana to speakon or you can use a banana to quarter inch. I ran mine at 30hz to make sure the cab would get the "full signal".

Monster cable makes good speaker cable, where the banana plugs are sealed and not exposed. I don't know if you can safely/easily rewire a speakon to accomodate bridging. You would need to make some changes internally with the amp

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Do you use a base w/ a B string, or lower? If the answer is yes, set the filter to 30.... If the answer is no, set it to 50.

The filter isnt a hard chop off, its a roll off.

7. I've been playing my son-in-law's 610HLF. Bass response drops like a rock below 50 Hz on this cab. In a live mix, the low E just disappears until I get back up to A or higher.

The RMX 50 Hz filter provides a bump in the 80 ~120 Hz range, and is down -6dB at 40 Hz.

The 30 Hz filter has no bump and is down -3dB at 30 Hz.

If you drive the rig real hard, the 50 Hz filter might offer a better sound for your needs.

8. bassman69

bassman69

Mar 13, 2005
    Youngstown, OH
    I use a standard 4 string fender jazz, maybe since the cab is ported i should set it to 30hz, i'm just concerned with the dropout as the previous poster stated. as far as cabling i have a monster cable that is neutrik to banna, but i may just order a neutrik wired for bridged from Procable online, I'm not pissing around with that wiring

9. Lowfader

Lowfader

Jul 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    To run a Speakon out the back of this amp bridged you have to wire +1 on the Speakon that goes to the amp,then goes to speaker+. Then the other wire goes to +2 on the Speakon at the amp & then to the negative speaker terminal. The Speakon plugs into the top outlet on the amp.

10. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I have one I use with both a 4 ohm Schroeder and an 8 ohm Eden, only use one at a time, but it has no problem running at 4ohms bridged. I haven't had a single problem out of it, although lately I have run into clipping issues when using the Schroeder 1210....but that's not the QSC's fault. when I use the amp with my Eden 410 it's PLENTY loud and has tone for days.

I've been gigging with mine for close to a year now with a banana to 1/4" cable and have had no problems with it at all.

11. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Yup, it would work great.

You can either use the bananna plug outs to bridge or get a regular old 'bridged mono' speakon speaker cable. It should be available in almost any music store.

Switching from stereo to bridged mono is very easy, you just switch a couple of DIP switches! The DIP switches on the RMX850 are incredibly easy to use. Easy access and well marked. Read your manual and go for it!

Oh, about the bridged mono cable, just be sure that you know which end is which. The +1,+2 end goes to the amp and the +1,-1 end goes to the cab. Mark the ends if you have to.

:D

Joe.

12. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

So in order to use an amp like this in bridge mono, a regular speakon cable won't work? You need a special "bridge mono" speakon cable?

13. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Well, yeah.

The only power amps I've seen that DON'T do it this way are some (all?) Carvins.

Do you know of others?

Heck, I think most bass heads work this way.

(Yes, I know, there are always exceptions.)

:eyebrow:

Joe.

14. Quadzilla

I've honestly only used power amps bridged with banana plugs in the past and never used one with a speakon. I just aquired a mint RMX1450 and have yet to run it bridge with a speakon (was using a banana cable). Funny part is I was going to hook it up to another cab tonight using a standard speakon cable. Good thing I caught this thread first! Thank the good lord for TB!

15. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Cool!

Saved by the hair of your chinny chin chin!

Yeah, you can download the manual from the QSC website. I have an RMX850 and an RMX1450. They both hook up the same way.

Just in case though, here is a diagram from the manual showing what the amp end should look like. (The cab end is +1,-1.)

BridgedMono.

I have made my own BM cables and have bought them from stores. Just be sure of what you are getting. It is very easy to confuse speakon cables!

:D

Joe.

16. Quadzilla

Man, thanks for the save Joe!!!!

17. I'd be a LOT more inclined to use a banana plug on the amp end for bridging.

18. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    I do this. Works fine. I had Bayou Cables (a TB cable maker) make me a Banana-Speakon cable for my RMX850 and it's stellar.:)

19. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Like I said before I haven't had a bit of problem out of my banana plug....

you also want to make sure your DIP switches are set correctly. when I first got my QSC I set the DIP switches incorrectly because the manual is kinda confusing and it started clipping WAY too soon which left me kinda disappointed til I spoke with Bob from QSC here on TB and he helped me get my DIP switches set correctly, which made a HUGe difference.

20. CDT

CDT

May 29, 2005
    triad, nc
    I must have gotten a bad one...once I had it set up and wired correctly it shut off every ten minutes. all the dip switches were correct, the connectors were correct.

BTW, I was using it with a svp-CL preamp into a trace elliot 4ohm 410 cab and it sounded great..no clipping at all and plenty of juice.