QSC RMX-series users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Dec 27, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Who here has a QSC RMX850, RMX1450, RMX1850HD, or RMX2450 power amp?

How do you like it?

These are starting to float to the top of my pile of contenders because:

1) They seem to have a good rep for bass use (I've heard multiple complaints that Mackies lack a solid bottom);

2) They're cheap for the power ($400 for a RMX1450);

3) People seem to think they're rated conservatively; and

4) They're available from MF, where I have a line of credit!

The downside seems to be weight and resale value, plus they're made in China (I have political / human rights / environmental objections there).

I'd consider a PLX series amp, but they're a bit rich for my blood. I want to buy an amp on credit for a month or so, not a year of payments!

The specs for the RMX1450 are where I think I need them to be for driving a pair of Bag End S15-Ds - 280W/8 Ohms stereo, 1400W/4 Ohms bridged.
  2. I had one, sold it to my drummer for his PA system.

The only down side to the RMX series is the poundage. They are the conventional transformer construction and pretty heavy. They do not have the sophisticated output circuitry of the MX series, and are also not as heavy. My MX is 69 pounds and it gets old hauling it around.

The RMX-2450 has the same Two Step Class H output circuitry as does the PLX series. This is more efficient than the AB circuitry of the RMX 850 and RMX 1450. The 2450 is nearly 45 pounds. If you buy used, there was a recall/modification that affected a specific serial number range. Check the QSC site for details.

My RMX 850 was very well built on the inside. It is constructed off shore (China??) from USA designs. This didn't bother me at all.... all my computer motherboards come from there. Other than the weight, I don't see anything wrong with the RMX models.
  3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    How is the 2-ohm performance of those RMX's, the 850 in particular?
  4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Have you seen the specs on the new RMX-1850HD? It's also class H, and their website claims improved bridged performance at 4 Ohms and stereo performance at 2 Ohms. Also 45 pounds - ugh!

Maybe I should save up my pennies for a PLX series to save my back...
  5. I can tell you first hand that 69 pounds is too much for a weekly transported amp. My rack is so heavy I need two people to unload it from the truck and move it. Never encountered stairs, probably won't play if there are stairs.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I would go with a PLX & not a RMX due to them "supposedly" discontinuing that model. I have a PLX 3402 & it's top-shelf! Pitch quiet & clean super lows, + it's light. Remember, 'ya get what 'ya pay for.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    "Supposedly" discontinuing what model? There aren't any RMX or PLX models being discontinued.
  8. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Hi - I'm driving the same Bag End S15-D's with
    a QSC1602. I paid $600 and it's under 30lbs.

Worth it in my opinion....

What's ur preamp?
  9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm finding a Carvin is the only amp that will fit in my rack of choice (a SKB XRack - 10 3/4" deep). I'm using a SansAmp RBI preamp, which I just picked up on Saturday and love already.
  10. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I would hold out for the PLX. I keep hearing nothing but rave reviews!