QSC rmx vs Crown xls

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by White_rabbit, May 26, 2005.

1. White_rabbit

Jan 3, 2005
    I have an ampeg stv350h and a svt 410hlf cab and I'm thinking of buying a power amp to feed this little monster... I was thinking of a QSC RMX850 or a CROWN XLS402.

Do you give me some help choosing?? :confused:
  2. What's wrong with the svt350h?
  3. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    we use the XLS 602 for our PA, seems alrite - very solid, no frills, hasn't had any problems so far - its been over a year now
  4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yes, get the QSC RMX850.

I have owned both Crown XLS and QSC RMX series amps. I used them for P.A. purposes. The QSC is easily a better piece of gear. The tone was definitely fuller and richer. My old bandmates were amazed at the quality of sound that it put out.

The Crown is sold and I still have the QSC, if that means anything to you.

5. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    QSC in a heart beat.
  6. White_rabbit

Jan 3, 2005
    Well I'm not having any kind of problem with the svt but I think I'm underpowering the cab and I want to take the full potential of it.... Will it make any diference?? :eyebrow:
  7. If the the SVT has enough power for the playing you do and you're not having to crank it to the point of farting out, I wouldn't worry about it honestly. If on the other hand you're having to ride it hard and it's clipping then yeah, you probably need more power or more cabs.
  8. White_rabbit

Jan 3, 2005
    Well I play at medium/large places and have to turn the volume up to a little more than a half that tha amp can work(maybe 2o'clock on both GAIN and MASTER) and the red ligth is always getting on... that's way I've been thinking on the power amp... :meh:
  9. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    The QSC is a great power amp for the low cost.
  10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yes, I would recommend the RMX850.

Does the stv350h have a preamp output on it?

He'll probably need something to boost his level before going into the power amp.
  11. Ahhh, OK. Yeah it sounds like you're pushing the envelope. Personally, I'm gonna recommend the Crest CA6 and don't let getting a used one scare you because they're tough as nails.
  12. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I wonder which power amp sounds better. These new lightweight power-switching models or the conventional ones with the big heavey transformers??? Hhhhmmmmmmm..............
  13. White_rabbit

Jan 3, 2005
    Yes the svt has a preamp output on it. It will be easy to set up. I'll check the crest amp too. Thank you guys :D