Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC RMX vs. MX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by viper jazz, Feb 26, 2004.

1. viper jazz

viper jazz Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    OK, here's the deal: I'm getting ready to purchase a power amp, and I was looking at the QSC RMX 1450. I have a Peavey tfx 4x10 cab at 4 ohms, so I figured this would be enough power. But I found a used QSC MX1500a for only $100 more, and this seems to be the high end model for QSC, w/ even more power (1500W if I bridged it...)

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Would it be worth the extra money to go w/ the MX instead of the RMX? I know a lot of people use the RMX--is the MX really for pro audio instead of bass? Help!

2. I think the MX line has been dis-continued. You won't hear any difference and the extra 50 watts 1450 to 1500 shouldn't make any difference at all. You might consider spending the extra money on a QSC PLX1602. They are widely used on this forum. Plenty of power and lighter weight. jmho

3. The MX series is the lead-sled model. Mine was the MX-3000a and weighed in at 69 pounds of pure Godzilla power. Industrial strength build quality, for sure. No skimping on quality (or weight), and perfect for a built-in application.

Sold it.

Bought an RMX-850 on a good deal. Well built amp, same weight class/concept as the MX, but a cost reduced version. Sold it to a former drummer for use in his PA system.

Bought two PLX3002, and a PLX1202 and never looked back. At 21 pounds, very manageable. FTW, I would like to own an RMX-1850HD, because it is specifically designed to work well with 2-ohm loads. This is perfect for four subs working in parallel.

4. viper jazz

Feb 5, 2004
    Thanks for your help. From what I heard, the 1400 watts at 4 ohms bridged is pretty inaccurate from the RMX, because it's measured at 1kHz, whereas the MX is more accurately measured for 1500 watts at 20Hz-20kHz.

Also, does anyone (Bob?) know if either of these power amps need to see +4db at the input? Because I plan on using a Sansamp for a preamp, and it puts out 0db.

5. Not only does the MX weigh a ton it's a way deeper case too. You have to have extra deep cases. I know this for a fact, we have the mx3000a and mx2000a for our PA. I had to order the deep rack case and it was expensive. My guys are always whining when we lift them. They are solid as a rock and perform perfectly everytime. Mine are over 10 years old, never had a problem. I think for a bass rig go with the PLX. There is something to be said about the power supplies of the heavier amps though. The switching types are great but lack the oomph you can only get out of the heavy transformer types. I own a PLX2402 for my bass rig and it works great for me, so let your ears tell you and then consider weight and price.

6. viper jazz

Feb 5, 2004
    The only issue is that the PLX is a lot more than I'm looking to spend. I can get either one of these power amps for $350 or under.

7. The brown truck just delivered a new RMX1850HD. I ahven't hooked it up yet, but it looks great.

Only drawback: it weighs a ton (44 lbs...) I can't imagine sticking two or three in a rack...wait, that's exactly what I was dreaming of....

8. Ah you young kids, :crying: you should have been around back in the days of the old CS800. 75 lbs.

9. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana

If you have the luxury of not needing to buy immediately, you may find an excellent deal out there.

I bought a used PLX1602 for $390 that was perfect.

10. Whaddya mean BACK in the days?!! A CS800 is state of the art in my neck of the woods. :D

11. I got all my PLX from eBay. Best deal was $580 for a PLX3002.

12. I remember playing with a CS800, back around '82.....