Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC RMX vs PLX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MascisMan, Feb 4, 2004.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    What are the big differences between these two lines of QSC amps. I tried doing a search and didnt find anything.

2. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    If I'm not mistaken the RMX is made in China and the PLX is made in the USA.
    I have a PLX2402 for my bass amp and a RMX1450 for my PA, I've never bothered trying the RMX with my bass but the PA sounds good.
    Lex

3. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    More to the point (IMO) is that the RMX series are heavy, whereas the PLX all (regardless of power output) weigh 21 pounds.

Both are excellent amps, the RMX also has a considerable price advantage in $/watt.

--Ken

4. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I see. So the main difference is the weight savings? Otherwise internally they are the same?

5. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    No, the PLX has a switching power supply, whereas the RMX has a more traditional transformer. Bob Lee would be the better person to explain this (he might have done so already in another thread)...

6. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I own both an RMX 1850HD and a PLX 2402. They're both great amps. But I'd rather carry the PLX any day - it's half the weight but puts out 30% more power (as well as costing about 60% more new!).

In addition to the switch mode power supply, the PLX has a slightly different circuit design that gives lower distortion and noise. For a bass amp this is unlikely to be a big deal. I've also found the PLX's fan to be slightly quieter than the RMX's, but neither one is audible at stage volume levels. And the input impedance of the PLX is lower, meaning it's harder to drive to full power - this could be an issue if you are using a tube preamp.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    What Chucko said. ;)

8. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    so a solid state pre would be better for the PLX than a tube pre?

9. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I've owned both. Get a PLX if you can afford it.

10. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Not necessarily. It depends on the tube pre, and what its output stage looks like.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ya know,, for what you'd pay to get an RMX 850, & a Sansamp Pre, & a couple of cabs,,, I'm kinda mad I spent money on a combo.

12. I've owned both, and currently own (3) PLX.

I'd own another RMX anyday, especially the 1850HD, so I could drive two 2-ohm loads.

:D