QSC RMX1850HD - Stereo or Bridged?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TexasBBQ, Oct 1, 2004.

1. After reading all the past posts on the subject, I am still not sure on which is the best way to run my QSC RMX 1850. I have a Avatar B115H @ 8 ohms and a Avatar B210 @ 8 ohms. What are the advantages and liabilities to running them stereo (one cab per channel) or bridged mono (2 cabs in parallel = 4 ohm load)?

I am asking the collective for practical advice. I already have cabling for both configurations.

2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

In a nutshell:

basically you run stereo to seperate your fequencies or if you want to run seperate effects (if you have seperate inputs). You'll get more output from 4 ohm load than 8 ohm at equal gain/volumes.

If I had the stuff, I'd run it various ways and draw my own conclusions. At any rate, different combinations work better in different situations so experimentation is needed to know what the gear will do regardless.

The manual and a TB search should answer any questions and give you a lot of useful info you probaby wouldn't get otherwise.
  3. Run both cabs together for a 4 ohm load and put the amp in bridged mono mode, you'll put out 1800 watts total, 900 per cab..

Run each cab on a separate channel and you'll put out "only" 350 watts per cab. As luknfur said, you may prefer this sound...or you might prefer the "more power" approach.
  4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The main advantage of bridging is the headroom you gain (& Avatars will handle alot of power).

The main advantage of stereo (actually the 'parallel' mode is probably what you want unless you have a stereo bass or stereo chorus) is being able to adjust the output of each cab individually to get the voicing you want (you may decide you prefer the sound of the 15" to be more predominant or vice versa).

The actual tone of the amp should be the same either way -- though I've heard some say that it does make some tonal difference.

Presonally, I would probably go for the headroom; it can make your bass sound more dynamic and punchier.

Try it both ways and decide for yourself.
  5. HomeBuild

Sep 28, 2004
    If it's power/headroom your after, you have only one option.

Your amp will deliver 1800W Bridger into 4Ohm. Your cabs are rated at B115H - 600W and B210 - 700W so these together would be a good match for the amp in bridged mode.

In sterio you would get only 360W per side, 720W in all.
  6. Thanks to all for the advice. I think I am going to try stereo mode for a few practice sessions. I have already vibrated 4 glasses off the shelves in my home bar just barely cracked open. It's nice to know that if thats not enough, there is more where that came from. :bassist:

7. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    i would probally run it in stereo to put more in the 2x10 or 15 depending on how you want to sound. but if you just want to piss off your family or make guitar players mad, then run that thing in bridge.

just test it out.