1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

QSC/Speakon Question???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumpin4, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Thumpin4

Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    I bought a speakon connector that I have to modify. I have to cut the speaker cable and connect the two wires from the speaker cable to the posts to the speakon connector. Can anybody here tell me what posts that I need to connect them to to make a bridge mono connection like +1 +2? One more thing, what post do I connect the shielded wire to and the wire outside of the shield to? I have PLX1602 power amp.

Thanks, Jody

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    If that's really a speaker cable, one wouldn't expect any shield. Are you sure there is one?

For the PLX (and many other amps), connection to 1+ and 2+ is correct for bridge mono. The QSC website has the manual in electronic form, take a look there.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A speaker cable should not have a shield. It should have two separate conductors inside a rubber jacket, preferably at least 14 gauge wire, but 12 is better. For bridged mono, the amp end is indeed connected to 1+/2+. The speaker end should be connected to 1+/1-. (Unless the speaker is a sub wired for 2+/2-, in which case you would wire the speaker end accordingly.)

It sounds like you have a chunk of mic cable. If you use it for speaker cable, three things probably will happen: The wire will melt, your speakers will self-destruct, and your amp will explode.