QSC SRA power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mgmadian, Nov 8, 2003.

1. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Anyone have any experience with these? I understand they're new, and designed to minimize the fan noise that is my primary complaint with my PLX-2402 (fwiw, I also wish it were 1 RU and weighed about 10 lbs less, but these are somewhat secondary considerations for an amp that is otherwise very good).

Anyway... I've been thinking about getting a quieter amp, and the new SRA line looks interesting. Apparently, the fan is very quiet, significantly quieter than the PLX, and I'm wondering if anyone can compare the two lines (SRA and PLX) firsthand.

Also, if anyone has experience with a fan-less amp such as the Crown K1 or the new Powersoft amps (I think they're fan-less, anyway), would love to hear about it.

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The audio circuitry and power supply in the SRA (Studio Reference Amplifier) amps are almost identical to the PLX amps. The SRA amps have a quieter fan, true, but it is also a lower-capacity fan. Since running hard into 2 ohms per channel would be very out of the ordinary in a studio or a home theater system, we figured that was an acceptable tradeoff.

The SRA amps were put through UL testing with those quiet-but-less-air fan and they passed. Unfortunately, the PLX amps went through UL testing with the higher-capacity fan, and therefore we can't retro-fit the quieter fan in them without risk of losing UL approval on the whole series. And if you've ever been involved with UL testing of electronic products, you know it's friggin' expensive!