Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC v GK 1001 II Watts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NJL, Jan 9, 2005.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    OK, been thinking about getting a GK 1001 II amp to lighten
    up on my back. This is what I have:

QSC 1450 Bridged Mono
    Ampeg SVP
    Aguilar 112
    Eden 112

Power wise, the QSC is supposed to be at 1400 watts (bridged
    mono with a 4ohm load)....

Power wise, the GK 1001 II is supposed to be at 700 watts (with
    4 ohm load)...

I know some people say that "so and so's" watts are "louder" than
    "so and so's" watts.....would anyone be able to compare these two?
    Will the 1001 be able to compete with the QSC?

Thanks!
    :)

2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I think you ought to consider the limit your total speaker compliment will withstand anyway. My GK 1001RB II at 4 ohms is hella loud. Its a snap to toss in a bag and tote to the gig. I've been there and done that with the 4 space rack packing QSC, Crown and high end pre-amps @65-85 lbs. Ouch. For me, the GK does the job of delivering more than adeqaute power to the speakers I can successfully use to handle ANY room or stage. However your mileage may vary. And the tone of the GK can get a little gritty (120 grit) if you want/need. For 80 grit you need a pedal or an Aguilar or Ampeg. I'm out.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm sorry, i don't understand this?

on another note, thanks for the heads up on the other info :)

BTW, i forgot to mention, i don't have my cabs on the floor, i have them on a nice keyboard table that raises them to head/ear height.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yo, C...

When I was shopping around for power amps, a close second to the power amp I decided on (Crest CA9) was the Stewart World 2.1. If I remember the specs correctly it was VERY light (under 20 lbs.) and cheaper than the Crest (I believe I saw a new one advertised for around $800).

As far as the "not all watts being equal" thing... The Crest amp is INSANELY louder with its 900 watts than my old SWR SM-900 was with its rated 900 watts. And when I say insanely louder, I mean

INSANELY LOUDER!

That held true even when using the SWR as a power amp only with my new Alembic preamp (running into the SWR's effects return), so tone/EQ was the same. Difference was night and day.

6. Angry Jonny

Angry Jonny

Aug 20, 2004
    I hate to say it, but I respectfully disagree with you Mr. Donkey. If you actually have 900W coming out of one amp vs. another amp and into the same cab, it will be the same volume. That being said, it may take a stronger input to get amplifier A to 900W than it takes to get amplifier B there, maybe that's where the loudness difference you saw came in.

NJL...as usual, your best bet is to try out the GK and see if it does it for you, but from a numbers perspective, by cutting your power in half you're only losing 3dB which is not a whole lot. I run a 1001RB-II into an 8 Ohm 4x10 and never come close to running it full out with the rock band I play in. We do run the bass to the house though so I don't have to worry about filling a room, just having enough volume that we can hear on stage. That being said, our sound people often have to tell me to turn down because I'm overwhelming the rest of the 100+ dB mix in a ~150 seat church.

7. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i already have a QSC 1450....it's sounds great (along with my ampeg) but they are just tooooooo heavy

9. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D

thanks!

what's funny (well not really), when i quit smoking, my back hasn't been as messed up as when i was smoking....funny

getting back to the thread...

i was just wondering about the initial thread....we all know how some companies say "this product puts out so many watts" but it really doesn't

hmm....bump :D

11. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

keep the Ampeg and buy a QSC PLX series amp ... :D

12. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I just bought a QSC PLX1602 (about 20W more power than the QSC RMX1450)...Only weighs 21 lbs! The 1450 is more like 40 lbs. I like a 50% reduction in weight!

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    you know guys, i have been thinking about that route as well.

so it's been like PLX v GK, but the GK can be put in a backpack....
    bummer...the fun never ends

:D

14. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    The GK is a lot smaller than a PLX plus your Ampeg. and if it gets the job done and sounds great, looks like a good solution that your back will surely appreciate.

15. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I'd say do what I have. A PLX amp with both a SVP-PRO and a GK 2001RBP in the rack. Its like having a Ampeg and GK amp wrapped up in the same box. But it is heavy.

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i was thinking of that too :D

17. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    hey, not sure if this helps you, but i had an rmx 2450 bridged into two bergantino HT cabinets, and i much prefer my GK 1001RB-II for volume and tone. something about the QSC never sounded or felt right, and i always had to crank the volume...way moreso than than with the GK.

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    now we are talking! what pre were you using?

19. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    hey-

two different pre's -- a vtbp 201s (demeter) and a presonus eureka, and a combination of the two. I can't put my finger on why the rack setup didn't work for me, but when i plugged in the head just to see what it sounded like, i immedately decided to sell the rack (which i still haven't done).

it might be that the GK is voiced really well to cut through, and therefore doesn't need the massive amounts of watts to back it up, but whatever it is, it works. definitely check this head out when you get a chance.

oh, also if you're using Eden and Aggie, they're probably more efficient than the Bergies, so you should have no problem with volume.

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    thanks for your reply!

i don't know, maybe i'm also tired of the Ampeg mud as well....

the GK just sounds so much more cleaner....

keep em coming guys... :D