Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lyle Caldwell, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    UPS won the first round, hands down.

Two, count em, two bent rack ears and part of the front plate snapped off. UPS just clobbered poor QSC.

QSC never really stood a chance.

For round two, it's me vs the UPS insurance claims department..

Wish me luck.
  2. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Simply amazing. i thought this would be the bought (sp?) of the century. those QSCs are built like tanks. What would someone have to do to thoroughly destroy such a strong piece of gear that is packed in a sturdy box?
  3. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Sorry, what's a QSC again??
  4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004

Packed in two sturdy boxes and well filled with packing material. Maybe their cannon ran out of frozen chickens.

It takes a lot of effort to warp two rack ears and snap the diecast handle.

UPS is the reigning champ.
  5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    It's a power amp. Normally a very sturdy, road-tested power amp.
  6. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Did you pay the extra to have UPS transport it on the inside of the truck?

Glenn D.
  7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    You know, of course, that this is all your fault.
  8. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Yes. Mea culpa. Does it still work?

Glenn D.
  9. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    It works, though I hope to have UPS replace it instead of repairing it, since any drop severe enough to cause the external damage could easily have produced internal damage that will cause it to fail before its time (hopefully I can convince UPS of that).

The crappy thing is UPS is picking it up on Monday and "should have it back" to me on Friday.

So I have a new Warwick with new Bartolinis, a new rack, new power conditioner, new SansAmp RBI, and new Avatar SB112, and no new power amp for at least 5 days.
  10. kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    Ever see the beginning of Ace Ventura Pet Detective? I laughed my ass off when he was standing there letting the elevator door slam on the box.

Sorry you had a bad shipping experience. I consider it a minor miracle that I've never received a trashed package.
  11. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    How much did you pay for the Sansamp? Fullcompass sells'em for $249. If you put a strobe tuner in your rack and added another 12er, we'd have the same rig.

12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Wish me luck.... I'll bein for thousands of miles of sea and land shipping with USPS Ground when I get the money for a Schroeder 1210 together :eek: :ninja: :help: :meh:
  13. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    $250 including shipping. I plan on getting one of the non-racked Petersons, if that counts.

And my preliminary thoughts on the SB112 are that it really sounds good, but I might want to add a 2x10 for a little more high end. But I'm going to live with it for a while until I really *know* this cab.
  14. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Either two possibilities on this one:

1. Whoever packaged it did a really crappy job, not using sturdy boxes and sufficient filling. You can have all the peanuts and bubble wrap in the world, but that won't stop the box from breaking open when its being unloaded from a or loaded onto a truck. If you were to have to see these hub loads, you'd realize, half the damaged packages are customers fault, simply because of poor packaging. When packaging, expect the worse, that way you can prepare the package for it.

2. Or it was one of my fellow employees faults. Rarely is a package dropped. We only really throw packages when our belts run out about 10-15 short of the end of the truck. With must hub loads, this is not the case. It could be dropped really hard onto the belt, or have a heavier package stacked on top, or it could be stuck on the bottom. Loaders are not the brightest employees we have. It could also be the possiblity of it getting damaged in a belt jam, but that is unlikely.

I'm sorry about this, and I hope my employer does its best to help you out.
  15. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I bet you're right. Although, L.C. says it was "packed in two sturdy boxes and well filled with packing material". Was this an Ebay deal, Lyle, or sent from QSC? Most manufacturers know how to pack & ship. Many part-time Ebay sellers dont.

I received an Ebay item with a badly bent rack ear. The seller put a 19" item in a 30" box, and "cushioned" it with a bunch of scrunched newspaper. The oversized box allowed the item to travel 11" before puncturing the end of the box and striking concrete. "Gee, I thought I packed it pretty well" :rolleyes:

U.S. Postal Service did reimburse me for the repairs and shipping boyh ways.
  16. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    A fellow Talk Bass member shipped it, and in my opinion, he did a very good job, with foam blocks at the ends and very good packing material- the unit really couldn't shift inside the boxes (note the plural). UPS really had to go out of their way to damage it like this.
  17. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Finally got a reply from UPS:

"Our initial investigation has not revealed that excess value
    insurance was purchased for this package. In addition, we have determined that insufficient packaging was used for this
    shipment. As a result, UPS is unable to pay a claim for the
    damaged goods. To help avoid this problem in the future, we
    would be pleased to offer suggestions for improved packaging."

***? Two, count em, two, sturdy boxes, styrofoam blocks, and heavy duty packing paper. The amp could not move inside the boxes (again, note the plural).

Fortunately for our fellow Talk Basser, who at this point is potentially liable for the cost, I am a nice guy, and my mother is an attorney. I think UPS is going to be getting some ugly letters over this that could cost them well over the $500 at stake.

Stay tuned.

xcental34x, while I know you can't officially comment on this, iif you know of any hard to find phone numbers that you could PM me, I'd appreciate it.
  18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yea, I had a bass drop out of a UPS truck and be left on the street for about 2 or 3 hours with cars swerving to avoid it. It was picked up by a guitar player who recognized it as an instrument box, he came by my place later and dropped it off, the bass was in perfect condition, the box was messed up though. I could have gotten pissed, but it was the end of school, and I had much more important things to not do. Eitherway, that's just like "***?" how'd the delivery guy let that happen? more specifically, why did they try and deliver it to my apartment, when I explicitly told them where it was to be shipped(california).